~ Loss ~

Neither Jack nor I went to the memorial they were having. We sit quietly on one of the Pole's many bay windows.

It didn't feel right to share that loss with them.

We aren't one of them.

We don't belong here.

We both sit in complete grief filled silence for at-least 10 minutes. I don't want to prod at the still open wound, I feel as though he doesn't want to either. So we leave it.

That is until, Jack speaks up. "You tried," Is all he says.

"What?" I look up and we make eye contact for the first time since we got back.

"You tried," he repeats and I still don't understand. "I saw you."

I hear a grief-stricken cry come from below.

Oh.

I look down at my hands downheartedly. I did try. "It just wasn't enough," I say guiltily.

"But what if it was?" He counteracts and I glance back up, tilting my head slightly in uncertainty. "What if Sandy didn't save you and you were dead instead of him." I can't help but weirdly smile at the statement. "(Y/n) I'm serious." He makes clear.

"Well," I say, thinking about what I would do if I could take back the time. "That would've been the better option," I state and he scoffs, resting his head back on the wall. "Jack, Sandy is- was the Guardian who protects children's dreams," I remind him. "That's why I tried to do what I did but it didn't work. You're saying what if he survived instead of me? I wish that he was still here," I plead. "He- he should be here," tears prick my eyes. "Because he's everything this world needs and I'm nothing-"

"Nothing!?" Jack cries out as he moves to be closer to me. "(Y/n) maybe you're still coming out of that daze because you should know that you are much more than nothing," he says sincerely.

I am thankful for the comment but he didn't listen to my actual answer. "Jack, the world is now forced to suffer the loss of Sandy," I explain and he doesn't stop staring at me, growing slightly agitated. "Billions suffer from this tragedy. The Guardians just lost a friend that they have known for centuries," I state, rambling on but always coming back to make eye contact. "Billions could see Sandy, Jack. Billions needed him. Billions believed in him." I spit the last part, needing to tilt my head upwards to prevent the flow of tears. "No one knows me. And that's okay-"

"(Y/n) I know you!" Jack shouts, interrupting me and standing up off the seat. "I do!" He repeats, pointing furiously to himself. "Yes, Sandy was amazing for this world and I think I'm saying this clouded by grief but (Y/n) you're my world. You're amazing and courageous for taking Sandy's blow but even having to see that possibility that you wouldn't make it..." his words trail off as he looks at me.

Tears start to fall as the words stump me.

"(Y/n) I couldn't imagine it," he concludes and I just gaze at him. "A world, I mean, without you in it."

I can't help prevent the blush spread across my tearstained cheeks. "I am glad I'm still here," I say as he catches it breath. "With you." I stand up and walk over to be in-front of him and wipe a single tear off his cheek. "But Jack where is this coming from? What happened to Sandy, happened. As much as it hurts and pains us, we can't change that," I tell him, trying to convince myself as well. "If something did happen to me then never think it's you're fault," I beg, knowing how much he tries in everything he does.

"I should've come up as well when you told me what you were doing," he admits, "maybe then I could've done something."

"Done something!?" I say exasperated, "you saved us all with... with that!"

He looks solemnly down at me, "I hurt you. When they told me what happened I thought I had killed you."

"Oh shut up!" I say smacking him in the shoulder. "I'm alright and you know that." Although it is still clear how none of us truely know why I'm alive.

"Ow! You really gotta stop doing that," he orders with a grin and he rubs the familiar sore spot.

I look at him, completely blushing no doubt. "I'll stop when you stop giving me reasons to put you in line," I declare and receive a very chilling lazy blow of cold air in my face.

Footsteps approach from behind Jack and he holds my waist as we turn to see the source of the noise. Flush is certainly prominent now.

Both of our smiles fade and we let go of each other as North walks in. "No no please, it's good to see smile right now," he tells us.

Jack looks at him dejectedly, "but Sandy-"

"Would be proud of what both of you did," North cuts in. "Good things don't last forever," he mutters. "Now I don't know who you two were in your past lives, but in this life, you are Guardian." He makes clear, putting each of his big hands on each of our shoulders.

"But how can we know who we are until we find out who we were?" I question and Jack nods slightly in agreement.

"You will," North promises. "I feel it, in my belly." I smile at the gesture but then his face turns grave. "Now come," he says, "you two must see this."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Look how fast they're going out," Tooth announces as we walk into the room.

The once brightly lit lights on the enormous globe now flicker. Not good.

"It's fear," I mutter as Jack flies up to see the world from a closer view.

"He's tipped the balance," my friend states as he look downheartedly at all of us.

"Hey buck up you sad sacks," Bunny instructs. "We can still turn this around," he declares as he jumps onto the control panel. "Easter is tomorrow and I need your help." Jack lands beside me. "I say we pull out all the stops and- and we get those little lights flickering again!"

We all nod, ready to do what it takes.

Whatever it takes.

~~~~~~