~ A Plan ~

For a good 15 minutes, the mood was definitely despondent and anguish laid heavily in the air.
Now Jack and I sit alone against a boulder and I hear the other three males joking about the sleigh ride.

I see how Tooth looks at her last fairy longingly, too afraid to let her out of sight and risk losing her as well. I give Jack a tap on the knee before standing up and walking over to join the kneeling Guardian.

"I am so sorry about the fairies, Tooth," I tell her,  coming down to my knees and praying she knows it's the truth. Her small smile lets me know she does.

"You should have seen them. They put up such a fight." I didn't know my heart could shatter any further, but it managed to nonetheless.

I reach out to hold her hand and she watches as the fresh dew droplets transfer from my fingers to her skin.

She beams at the gesture, her cheeks flushing and her feathers prickling up slightly. "(Y/n)? That's- I- What-" she fumbles over her words and removes her hand from mine to place it over her heart. "How did you do that?"

I'm slightly confused by the question. I do it with Jack all the time, maybe he's just accustomed to it. "Do what, exactly?" I ask her.

She stares, bewildered, as her Baby Tooth also squeaks at me. "That- that water?" Again, she stutters.

"I am (Y/n) Rain?" I remind her, grinning slightly out of puzzlement.

"No I know that obviously," she reassures, "but that emotion... that warmth and devotion." I smile softly at her, bemused. "(Y/n) that love."

I don't know what to say. Is that the kind of thing you say you're welcome for? No, that's too cocky. What about thank you? No, that's just weird.

She notices how I am stunned and just takes my hand once more. "I am grateful for that," she says appreciatively. "Whatever it was."

I hear some footsteps behind me and feel Jack sit down on my right. "Why would Pitch take the teeth?" He questions sincerely.

"It's not the teeth he wanted," she informs us, "it's the memories inside them."

"What do you mean?" Jack and I ask concurrently.

"That's why we collect the teeth, they hold the most important memories of childhood." She starts flying over the water to a beautiful and lively mural on the rock face. The water struggles understandably as I walk on pristine patches and Jack freezes where he saunters. "We look after them," she explains, "and when someone needs to remember something important... we help them."

Something inside my mind clicks.

Each Guardian has a purpose.

Their center.

North is the Guardian of wonder.

Sandman is the Guardian of dreams.

Tooth must be the Guardian of memories.

It makes sense now.

I still cannot figure out my own.

"We had everyone's here," Tooth continues. "Even yours."

"Our memories?" Jack questions.

"From when you were young," she clarifies. "Before you became Jack Frost and (Y/n) Rain."

"Wait," I interject, practically feeling the strain wafting off of my friend, "but we weren't anyone before we were Jack Frost and (Y/n) Rain?"

"Of course you guys were. We were all someone before we were chosen." I gape at her statement and I see ideas race through Jack's mind.