Chapter 1 - The beginning

Y/N never knew her parents or family. All she knew while growing up were demons. Every night Y/N had to run for her life because the demons always found her no matter where she hid. One night Y/N ran into a quiet-looking demon slayer, "please help me, demon slayer," Y/N pleaded, he started "how did you know I was a demon slayer; most people don't believe in demons." "I would love to talk more about that, but we don't have time, they are coming for me like every night," Y/N stated with urgency. Three demons roared out of the forest as their eyes fixed upon Y/N like heat-seeking missiles. "Water breathing fourth form: Striking tide" The demon slayer whispered under his breath, water flowing from his blade and through all three of the demon's necks. "Now," he turned to face the alert girl, "Why are they after you and how did you know I was a demon slayer?" Y/N chuckled, "I don't know why they are after me but it's all I've ever known is running from the demons. I knew you were a demon slayer because I heard the demons taunting that there were no demon slayers around to save me." His gaze softened, "My name is Giyu, the water Hashira." "My name is L/N, is there anywhere I can go to become a demon slayer? I want to stop running." Y/N asked while her eyes skated the trees. "I believe that you have potential, I will take you to my mentor, and he will be able to help with that." Giyu said while beginning to walk away, "Are you coming?"

Time skip brought to you by Y/N and Giyu walking.

"Here we are," Giyu said gesturing to the wooden log cabin, "My mentor's home." "Woah, that's such a big house... I've never seen something so nice before," Y/N said sadly remembering the tent she carried with her. "Giyu, my boy," an old man wearing an oni mask said walking up to the duo, "What have you brought me this time, those two you sent me are inside having dinner. Come in," Opening the door to the cabin, Y/N saw there were two people sitting around a table, one with red eyes but a kind face and one wearing a bamboo muzzle? 'That's odd' Y/N thought to herself, out loud she said, "Nice to meet you I'm L/N." The boy stood up and said, "I'm Tanjiro and my sister here is Nezuko." Y/N greeted this with silence as she realized why Nezuko was wearing a muzzle, shaking she asked, "Why did you bring me to a demon Giyu, you know my past." Y/N stumbled backward away from the table, "Y/N, it's ok she won't harm you; she hasn't harmed any humans and never will." Said Tanjiro, trying to reassure the flinching girl, "Y/N," the stern voice of Giyu cut through the fog crowding her brain, "I brought you here so you could prepare, when you become a demon slayer, I thought that once you saw a demon you would freeze, I did this to prepare you for fighting them." Shakily Y/N stepped forwards never taking her eyes off Nezuko. "Giyu, why is she afraid of Nezuko?" Tanjiro asked curiously. "She's afraid because she has been chased by demons every night from when she can remember to last night, she decided it's time to stop running and that's why I brought her here," Giyu replied. "Can I take off the muzzle?" Y/N questioned, "If I think of her as a human it might help me conquer my fear." "It probably isn't the best idea she might lose control." Tanjiro and Giyu replied in unison. Y/N reached for the muzzle, slipping it off Nezuko's face. "Hello Nezuko," "H-hello Y/N," Nezuko shakily replied, trying to ignore the wonderful smell assaulting her nose, it was coming from you she realized. "Can I put it back on, I don't want to hurt you, but I can smell why you were attacked every night... you smell like the most wonderful thing in the world." "Sure, you can, here you go Nezuko," Y/N calmly replied, not showing the fog rolling into her brain clouding it with thoughts of escape. Nezuko hummed once it was on properly. Y/N stepped backward letting out an inaudible sigh of relief. The oni mask-wearing man stepped forward, "My name is Sakonji Urokodaki, welcome to my cabin. Your training will begin tomorrow, please get some sleep for now." "Thank you Urokodaki but I've gone so long not sleeping through the night that I usually sleep through the day and train at night," Y/N stated with a slight smile. "Well then, Giyu can you take her up the hill, you know what to do," Urokodaki said with a tired smile. "Of course, sensei," Giyu said, "Come with me Y/N." "Coming!" Y/N replied as she was hit with a thought, "Thank you for letting me stay, Urokodaki." Bowing towards Urokodaki, she then straightened and went after Giyu waving back towards Urokodaki.

Time skip

"We're here," Giyu said turning around to face Y/N, "What you have to do is get back to the cabin before sunrise. I will be following behind you so that I can protect you if any demons show up." "Ok, so I just have to get back?" Y/N questioned, "I can see several traps from here, anyone else wouldn't have noticed them. They are hidden quite well." Giyu glanced around not seeing what Y/N saw, "Well moonlight is wasting, so off you go back to the cabin." "Of course, I'll lead us back," Y/N exclaimed courageously. The duo was about halfway down the hill when Y/N suddenly stopped, turning towards Giyu, "Why have you-" "More demons are heading this way, about four of them none appear to be Lower moons." Y/N interrupted. Giyu tensed, bringing his sword out from its sheath. "I found her; I get to bring her to Kibutsuji." One demon laughed before she realized her mistake, "wait no, nononono, I'm sor-" An arm burst from her mouth, tearing her head apart and leaving her body to burn in the sun. Giyu stared at the other two demons, "Water breathing second form: Water wheel." The water flowed from his blade circling through the two demon's necks, decapitating them both. "Let's run back to the cabin, we don't want any more company." "Okay," Y/N responded, "This way is the fastest way back."

Time skip brought to you by Giyu slicing through demons

Knocking on the door, Y/N called out, "We're back Urokodaki." "Come in, come in," Urokodaki replied, "You're back quickly, much faster than Tanjiro." "We were attacked by demons," Giyu stated, "I thought it would be better to head back quickly than to wait around and be attacked again." Giyu lowered his voice, "Y/N saw through every single trap, she has very good eyes, plus she warned me about a minute before the demons showed up." "Really well, I'll show you to your room Y/N," Urokodaki replied to what Y/N heard and what she didn't. "Thank you, Urokodaki-sensei," Y/N said back, noticing the double meaning of the words and that Giyu had whispered something. When Urokodaki slide the door back, Y/N noticed the two futons side by side and a third a little away from the two, she also saw Tanjiro and Nezuko sleeping next to each other, Y/N got into the third futon and fell asleep.

To be continued