Chapter 3

Before the duo could go to final selection, they first had to cut through a boulder each. They had been at this for six months, and Tanjiro was starting to give up. "You can't give up, Tanjiro," Y/N's voice mixed with two others, alerting the tired slayers in training; turning towards the sound of the voices, Tanjiro and Y/N saw a cute girl with a fox mask and a boy with another fox mask but with salmon pink hair flowing from the top of the boy's head. "Who are you both?" Y/N asked, suddenly remembering her most recent chat with Ren.

Flashback

"Y/N, there appears to be a multitude of souls around this area; you may meet them while training; the two brightest souls are a boy by the name of Sabito, who is most recognised by his salmon pink hair, and a girl by the name of Makomo, who is recognised by her beautiful mask and her hairpin. If you see them while you are trying to cut that rock, take all the help you can get, and be sure to tell them that I say hello."

Flashback end

"Are you two Sabito and Makomo?" Y/N questioned, bringing all the attention to her as the ghosts inhale, unsure how you know their names. "How do you know our names?" Sabito questioned as Y/N smiled, replying, "Ren Sylver says hello," "The chosen?" Sabito bowed, leaving Tanjiro confused, "She told me to take all the help I can get. Do you two know about my breathing form?" "I had heard only legend and what you said to the others when you woke up, but I sense that wasn't the full truth." Y/N smiled, "I should've known that you two would be able to sense that." Y/N laughed, "You are correct, of course, but I wasn't going to tell them or you everything. I have to keep one or two tricks up my sleeve," "How about I spar with Tanjiro and then Y/N to gauge both of your strengths. You don't need to worry about harming me." Sabito replied with a smirk. "We'll see who's smirking after this," Y/N said darkly, making everyone nearby nervous.

Time skip because of Tanjiro getting destroyed

"Y/N, it's your turn," Tanjiro puffed as he laid out of breath on the forest floor. "Excellent, time to go," Makomo started the match with a smile, saying, "begin," Sabito lunged forwards, startling Tanjiro with the speed of his attack, "Water breathing, first form," Sabito began, slashing toward the calm Y/N, "Killer breathing, first form: Bell Wraith," two bells sounded out as Y/N's image faded, becoming invisible. "Where is she?" Tanjiro questioned, speaking about what was on Sabito's mind. Y/N appeared behind Sabito, slashing towards his neck, stopping before she entered the flesh of the ghostly child, "I win," Y/N said, startling Sabito with the position he was in, "And I said we go until one of us lands a hit," Sabito replied knocking Y/N's sword away from her, "Fine, didn't need that anyway," Y/N huffed, "Killer breathing second form: Trapped," Sabito's eyes widened as beartraps appeared in the air around him, the metal gleaming under the moonlight, 'she can use her breathing style without her blade?' Sabito thought, "I won't move if I were you. Once you move, I win because it'll hit you." Y/N grinned, confidence seeping from her. Y/N turned away from Sabito to find her katana, a click coming from the traps as they latched onto Sabito, puncturing his skin and locking him in place. "Just phase out of it, Tanjiro is asleep, and I already know you both are ghosts," Y/N said to the trapped boy, who then phased in and out of existence, successfully escaping the traps, which then disappeared, "You did well, Y/N not many can beat me on their first try." Sabito stated, earning a gasp from Tanjiro, who had just awoken, "You beat him? You're so strong, Y/N!" Tanjiro exclaimed. "you're breathing style is very strong, Y/N. You only used two forms, which beat me in one move." "Thank you, Sabito. Now, where is my sword? Should I do that? No, it could kill everyone here." Sabito, Makomo and Tanjiro sweatdropped at this, with Y/N's sword stuck in the ground behind Y/N. "It's behind you, Y/N." "Oh, thank you, Tanjiro," a crack sounded as Y/N ripped the sword from the ground, destroying a large chunk of the nearby forest. Y/N smirked as she remembered her words before her fight. "Guess I was the one who had the last laugh, eh, Sabito?" Sabito sighed at Y/N's antics before laughing, "You are strong, Y/N; you can cut the boulder, but the next selection is in seven months, so you'll have to wait," Y/N smiled, striding towards the boulder, "That's fine, it's more time to train, I'm not stopping until this boulder is dust. Killer breathing, seventh form: Plagued air." The air around Y/N's sword turned green, with a smell of rotting flesh following it. Y/N slashed at the rock, and where the air touched it dissolved, cleaving a large path through the boulder. "Hmm, that's stronger than I expected," "YOU DISSOLVED IT. You didn't even need to cut it, and that's not your strongest form!" Tanjiro yelled, astounded at Y/N's powerful breathing technique, "Most of my forms are suited for fighting demons, not cutting rocks. It was one of the only forms that would work," Y/N replied, observing the still sizzling rock. "I vow to be as powerful as you, Y/N, one day." Tanjiro said thoughtfully, "I hope you will; I need someone by my side as strong as I am."