Chapter 2 Part 2 : Could All of This Get Any Worse? II

Violan dropped the documents in her hand. Her grip weakened upon hearing Ron's report. Her pupils shook viciously. With a trembled voice, she asked.

"... What did you say?"

"I think the young master was self harming, My Lady."

Ron patiently repeated his report.

"B-But why would he—No, it's obvious. From how he behave ... no wonder he was quiter than usual. I knew it! His mental state must be unstable! What should I do? Should I call a doctor?"

"My Lady, I think calling a doctor will make the young master stressed even more. Isn't it better if we secretly observe him and slowly helped him recover?"

Ron said it calmly. Seeing the old's man calm demeanor making the previously panicked Violan also calm down. She took a deep breath, tried to clear her mind, before nodded.

"You're right. Then Ron, can I ask you a favor to keep an eye on Cale? At the very least, please continue to be by his side and stop him if he's about to do anything strange."

Violan knew that she couldn't always be by Cale's side, even though she wanted so badly. But Ron, he had been by Cale's side since the child was born. Violan was sure Ron knew Cale better than she did, maybe even more than Deruth.

Ron was probably not a good person. He only been doing his duty of serving Cale all this time, but hadn't paid much attention to him. However, constantly watching this child for thirteen years formed a bond with him. Ron probably didn't want to admit it, but for some reason he felt some affection toward the redhead.

It couldn't be helped. How could he not feel affection toward him, as Ron saw with his own eyes since Cale was born, through a happy childhood with his birth mother, then slowly begin to change when his mother died, becoming more lifeless and less expressive. After that, things got worse when Deruth remarried. Completely overturned Cale's gentle and carefree personality, turning into a problematic and trashy child.

Ron was also a father. He remembered the time he and Beacrox were still on the run when their household was destroyed. Beacrox was forced to mature early, unable to experience a happy childhood. However, Cale was different. He was born in a peaceful environment. He should be able to grow up happily without worrying about anything. But the child who should have grown up happy was actually depressed to the point of almost committing suicide.

Just ... why is life so cruel?

"Of course, My Lady. I will observe the young master, ensure his safety. You don't have to worry."

This time, Ron would make sure that his puppy young master would grow up well. Perhaps he would ask his son, Beacrox, to help monitor Cale as well. He's sure that his son wouldn't mind.

"I think the young master stays in his room too often. How about asking him out once in a while, My Lady?"

"Oh, you're right! Can you help me set it up? If the weather is nice, maybe I'll take him out to town tomorrow."

"Sure, Countess."

"Alright, Ron. Thank you for the advice. You're dismissed."

Violan cheerfully tidied up the documents she had dropped as soon as Ron stepped out. Ah, if she's not mistaken, during the tea party at Countess Ubarr's residence yesterday, they said that pets are good for child therapy. Maybe Violan would take Cale to the pet shop. For a child his age, Cale had no friends. Could he be lonely?

After finishing all her work—and leave the rest to Griselda--Violan immediately went straight to Cale's room. Cale was slacking on his bed reading a book while eating cookies, a little surprised to find his stepmother come to visit him.