MEMORY LANE (S2:E4)

1873

Vernon : Run, Men! Run for your lives!

Vernon and his group of 6 more hunters are running through the woods. They went out hunting a local vampire, but this monster killed almost everyone in their group and is now chasing after them.

One by one, Vernon hears the men who survived the initial slaughter scream out in pain, knowing that this beast got them too.

With his energy leaving him, he comes to a halt and turns around in the middle of the woods, seeing that he's all alone.

Vernon : Damn it.

Something zooms past him and bites into his neck. Then, he gets thrown to the ground. The collar of his shirt is soaked in blood, while Vernon, his sight blurry, looks at the silhouette approaching him.

Vernon : Do it! Kill me, you monster!

The silhouette crouches down in front of him and holds his hand out. When Vernon finally realizes who the monster is that killed all of his men, his eyes widen in shock.

Sam : No, I don't think I will.

Vernon : S-Samuel?

The young Salvatore keeps on holding his hand out, but Vernon backs away.

Vernon : Y-You're one of them!

Sam : Yes. Sorry about your men, sometimes, I can't contain my anger.

Vernon : Y-Your anger?

Sam : I have something to protect, Vernon. And now that you are alone, I want you to help me.

Vernon : Are you out of your mind?! I would never-

Sam vamps to Vernon, forces him to drink his blood and then snaps his neck.

Sam : Somehow, I have a feeling you will, old friend.

-

I awaken from my dream, a small smile on my face. Back then, I may have been a bit of a dick to a man I can now call my friend, but in retrospect, I did everything right.

Without Vernon, I would have gone completely off the rail back then, and without him, I'd never met another man I see as my chosen brother.

Stefan : Sam, you up?

I look a bit confused, Stefan randomly walking into my room being more than odd.

Sam : Sure, Stef. You need something?

I stand up, only wearing a pair of joggers, walk over to my desk and sit down on the chair, Stefan leaning on the wall next to me.

Stefan : Look, yesterday... I may have overheard the conversation you had with Damon.

I chuckle a bit.

Sam : You were being noisy. Just say it how it is, Stef.

Stefan : Whatever. First off, I agree with what Damon said. Don't let your own happiness slip through your fingers for me and our brother. Neither of us want that. And secondly... Katherine? Really?

He smirks mockingly, while I just shake my head. Since when did Stefan get so playful.

Sam : Not my brightest moment.

Stefan : I know Katherine. She didn't do it for the hell of it, there is always a reason behind her actions.

Sam : Yeah, I know. I guess it's to make Damon and I drift apart. Luckily, that didn't work. And I guess you're not really butthurt over it either, right?