THE HYBRID (S3:E2)

I'm in Damon's room, the two of us exchanging stories about what happened after he left yesterday.

Damon : So you've been talking to your buddy Klaus, huh? Anything noteworthy?

Sam : When I find Klaus, I'll rip him a new one. That's all there is to it. But let's get back to Stefan killing your compelled girlfriend yesterday.

Damon : Shitty move, don't ya think?

Sam : Totally shitty.

That's when Little Miss Gilbert chimes into the room, looking pissed at my brother.

Damon: Just can't stay away, can you?

Elena: You've been dodging my calls. Both of you!

Damon: Yeah, well, busy dating a dead fake girlfriend and all.

Sam : And I wanted to sleep. Because people do that sometimes, Elena.

She just shakes her head at me. The attitude of this girl certainly didn't improve over the last few months.

Elena: Why didn't you tell me?

Damon: Happy Birthday, Elena. Stefan killed Andie. Cake?

Elena: He called me, Damon.

My eyebrows rise a bit. Why's everyone getting to have a chat with my brother besides me.

Damon: What?

Elena: Stefan called me last night.

Sam : You already said that. Please elaborate, Elena.

Elena: He didn't say anything, but it was him. I asked Sheriff Forbes if she would trace the call's origin. It came from Tennessee.

Damon: Where he's binge drinking on the country folk. We went through this, Elena. Stefan's gone. I don't mean geographically.

He throws the documents into the unlit fireplace. Looks like Andy's death is winding him up more than I originally thought.

Elena: If he was gone, he wouldn't have called.

He lights a match and throws it into the fireplace, which starts burning.

Sam : Elena's right. I refuse to believe that this guy can get all 'Ripper of Monterey Stefan' and go back to 'Chastity-Belt Stefan' like it's nothing, but a few months with Klaus and he's beyond saving.

My brother just shakes his head.

Damon : Well then, good luck. I'm out.

-

I walk into the Grill, noticing how nothing has changed. Well, besides them having a new waiter. Jeremy.

I walk over to the bar and as soon as he sees me, his eyes widen in surprise.

Jeremy : Sam? You're back?

Sam : Precisely. I'd like a scotch.

Jeremy : Well, I'm gonna need to see some ID.

My eyes narrow.

Sam : I'd also like to rip your damn heart out of-

He quickly interrupts me with a nervous chuckle, his hands raised.

Jeremy : Just a joke. One scotch, coming right up.

He leaves while I shake my head. After a few seconds, he sets the glass down in front of me. He stays standing there, looking at me expectingly.

Jeremy : I think we should talk, Sam.

Sam : What for?

Jeremy : Bonnie.