Chapter Nineteen: Tobias

Abigail sat calmly in the seat that used to be Charles', watching from behind the desk that was once his, as she looked over paperwork which included a letter in question that Tobias had eventually shown her, apparently too upset to care about reading through the whole thing, and didn't even know if it was true or a scam.

She had no clue herself but it wasn't like she didn't have the technology to figure it out. Mordhaus had even more advanced technology than what was possible in almost all other countries and all she needed to do was look into the database for information.

Abigail checked the computer for any records of a Yvonne Briar (the same last name as Tobias, apparently nobody had ever changed that during his time in the adoption agency) because that was the name that was given on the front of the folded letter, rather than the envelope itself, which was just labeled Jane Doe. The woman seemed pretty guarded in her letter, not giving out much personal information about herself and seemingly setting herself up for rejection before even sending out the card. Then again if there were other cards that Nathalia had kept, it would make sense she expected to be ignored, but in the letter it seemed almost like this was her first and only planned letter, so it perplexed the manager.

She herself hadn't read through the whole letter because she had just been focused on who this Yvonne was and if there were any significant news reports about it that might cause her to contact her arguably richest son, out of potentially several other siblings. Now as Abigail skimmed through the paper, her eyes focused on the last piece that made her fall back in shock.

Tobias most definitely had missed right over this piece of information as well, and he needed to know right away.

The envelope fell out of her hands accidentally and inside of it, several small polaroid pictures came fluttering out, scattering across the floor. A set of green eyes stared back up at her.

~~~

Visions swam through Tobias's unconscious mind, his past reeling in the crevices of his memories that could only be remembered in melancholy dreams. Fat, pudgy hands reaching for pretty pictures of bright colored eyes. A scream that shocked him into pausing in his movements. Tears staining his cheek as someone that smelled of strawberry spray rubbed their face against his lovingly, sadly. A basket of clothes to play in, similar to someone else's but much too small to fit her.

And hands to grab and lift him away, away from the familiar soft arms, away from the pretty pictures on the walls, away from the weathered fence and strangely empty tire swing tied to the drooping tree that he had grown to enjoy staring at from his blue curtained window.

It wasn't just those that plagued him but also dreams of soft red hair, and those same shiny eyes on a much more mature face. And Tobias's own reflection, shadowed by possibly a dozen different others, people he didn't recognize, yet seemed eerily familiar.

These images began to get stronger as the days went on until it felt like a nagging pull, like someone was desperate to show his subconscious something, that maybe he would finally wake up and remember the things being shown to him. The confusing dreams of darkness and blood-red moons were being quickly replaced by laughter and distant voices and somber, dreamy expressions. Mixed with the visions during his seizures, which were happening more constantly but in small, short, insistent ways, it felt like something was constantly pulling his brain in opposite directions.

He was ever revolving between his potential past and the nagging future, and not being able to remember either unless he was in the middle of actually witnessing them, and never able to remember them both clearly at the same time. Only when he was in his dream realm among the stars, and witnessing his dreams that way, did he even know that he was having dreams of his past, but still never remembering exactly what they were.