6. Brunch with a Merman

LUKE

The warm spring air was laced with sugar and honeysuckles. If Luke had the time, he would've opened every window and door in the home. This was Zipper's favorite time of year. She'd work in her garden for hours and fill every empty kettle, jar, and cup with flowers she'd find. It was like living in a flower shop.

"You'll call me if you need me, won't you?" Astrid asked Luke for the one thousand and one time. It was taking all morning getting her out the door... well, convincing her to walk through the coat closet that was also a portal that lead to several places, one place including Astrid's daughter's home where she planned to visit for the next week.

Luke insisted she go.

She needed the rest.

Needed the separation from Luke's curse.

After the incident with Ernest Gellar, Astrid had been tenser than usual and he couldn't blame her at all. Luke had asked her what the wizard was hunting for and she said, "A list of things... Everyone knows Iris had many strange relics, but... they're not supposed to know where she lives."

It hit Luke suddenly that holding the reception in her home was a terrible mistake. Thinking back, Luke realized Zipper never had people over and now, Luke essentially drew a bullseye to the magical world's largest treasure horde.

This realization infuriated Lord Cassian Alwyn, who grunted and grumbled over the fact she had stolen his Fortress Ring and wasn't even using it to protect the house. He said, "That old bat probably threw it in a drawer and it's collecting dust. Ridiculous."

Luke would like to say Cassian's near-death experience softened his dragon scales, but that'd be a lie. The only thing that warmed up between them was their tempers.

"Astrid, everything is going to be fine," Luke said, trying not to sigh. Leaning down, Luke sat his hand on Astrid's small shoulder and led her to the coat closet. It's door knobs were in the shape of hands reaching out for a shake. "Cassian is here. He'll protect the house as long as he still needs to find his ring."

"But what about you, dear?" She asked, stopping at her little carpet bag that could somehow fit a week's worth of clothes, most of her cooking utensils, and an armchair that Luke wanted to give to Astrid's daughter. "You won't be lonely without me?"

Luke put on a smile. "I'm used to being alone. Besides, I have to get work done. Stay with your daughter for as long as you want."

"Alright, but don't—"

Suddenly, a pop jumpstarted Luke's heart and he let out a huge sigh. He put his hand over his heart and reminded himself that Kostas threatened him with mimosas for brunch. He looked down to Astrid smiling at him.

She said, "I'll be back in a few days."

"Okay."

He gave her a quick hug and waved goodbye as she stepped through the closet. A bright light and a rush of wind spilled through the bottom crack of the door like a train car just passed him by. All the lights flickered, and the ground trembled from the power of the magic. Luke was surprised by how much he was getting used to everything.

Sighing, Luke gathered himself up, waltzed through the kitchen, and stepped onto the back patio where Kostas prepared out a huge spread of breakfast foods: cheesy eggs, jam with butter and toast, heaps of bacon, smoked salmon to go on blankets of cream cheese on top of toasted bagels, cut up fruits, and Luke's choice of pancakes or waffles.

The patio was covered by long wooden beams dripping with purple wisteria. It was fully furnished with love, large color rugs, potted plants, and lots of places to sit and bask in the huge backyard and garden. There were no fences. Just the woods outlining the property... where Luke could spot his friend, the sasquatch crowding behind a bush as if no one could see him.