THE END

CASSIAN

At this point, Cassian was sure all of Luke's tears had tried out. Luke just stared at Vincent's locket in wide eyed surprise, the little flame behind the red gem a bright orange. It was barely any bigger than a marble, flickering and wafting. So quiet, but so alive, especially as the sun was setting around them and night was crawling across the sky. The light caressed the edges of Luke's face. They were backlit by the kitchen light. Everyone else was deep inside, told to keep away until Cassian could tell Luke everything.

His nerves prickling and curling, Cassian didn't know what else to do but repeat himself, "The curse was already broken." The fire remained unchanging. He already explained the magic of the locket. "I swear it. I left with only the intention to come back..."

Luke sat at the bottom of the porch stairs in the backyard. Cassian was in the yard. It was so hard to get Luke alone after everything, after Astrid admitting to knowing all along and letting them search in hopes Cassian would give up. Then, she also said, "And once I noticed you two falling in love with each other, I hoped it'd be a reason you'd stay. I'm sorry, Cassian."

"I can never be mad at you, Astrid," Cassian said.

Meanwhile, Luke had been quiet, letting all this information sink into his truth. He had believed so many wrong things for so long. It seemed impossible to have a new belief. The curse was Luke's religion, and he was losing it.

Cassian dropped to his knees in the grass and leaned against Luke's knees, holding onto them. He looked at Luke's indecipherable face, frantic for any hint to his thoughts and feelings. Cassian explained, "It was Iris, and I don't even think she knew what she had done. It's all thanks to the ring. Giving you the ring saved your life. The curse meant to kill you, but couldn't, so it was broken..." No matter what Cassian said, Luke still didn't respond. He sounded desperate, but he was. "See? The fire hasn't changed. Watch, um I'm not a dragon—"

As soon as the lie reached the fire's ears, it brightened into a sickly green.

"See? I'm not lying."

"Cass, I believe you..." Luke said, so softly. He tipped the locket over and the fire lost its bite and sizzled into nothing on the steps. It left a nasty black bruise on the wood. "I don't need this locket to make me believe you. It's just..." He looked down. "I'm just going to have to live with this for a while. I don't... I don't know what I feel, but I don't know this fire. I only know yours. It's the only fire I need, and I believe you."

Cassian's sigh deflated his shoulders. He rubbed his fingers together, taking the locket with his other hand. A small orb of Cassian's fire grew as he rolled it around in his fingers. This fire was easy now that Cassian was back with who kindled these flames. He replaced the fire in the locket and closed it, pressing it back into Luke's palm.

"Here. Let this make you feel at least a little at ease that I'll always be with you."

Luke finally smiled, even if just a little. Grabbing the back of Cassian's neck, Luke pulled him into a hug. Cassian melted against Luke, holding him close. He rocked, back and forth, breathing Luke in. Funny to think he lived a moment on this earth without Luke Whitlock. Even with the world just surviving the collapse, it all still felt so peaceful in Luke's arms.

They finally went back inside, everyone deciding that they would order takeout. Cassian handed Astrid his gold credit card and told her enough wasn't enough. Cassian also offered to just rip the fridge out of the wall and toss it, but Luke shot him down.

Luke said, "Maybe we should wait a week before we make any bad decisions."

"We?" Cassian picked out what he liked the most. He hadn't stopped staring at Luke, looking him up and down, drooling to get him alone. He really was crazy about Luke.