20. A Dragon's Horde

CASSIAN

Cassian Alwyn didn't have a long childhood. He was forced to grow up and fend for himself much earlier than most. There was only one person he depended on the most in the world when he was in need and that was himself... but after Luke held out his hand, Cassian didn't hesitate to accept it. Cassian knew Luke would take care of him. He'd do the rest.

Leaning against Luke, his vision was going in and out, pulsing along with his booming headache. He didn't know where the pain started or ended, but he could feel the trickle of blood falling down his body, his wings wilted and tail dragging across the ground. He wasn't ready to die but the cold whispered that there was a chance. His nose turned into Luke's hair, and he took a deep, needy breath.

"You're warm," Cassian whispered.

"I'm not. You're just cold." Luke argued, a crack in his voice. He's never been the type to pretend he wasn't strong, but that never made Cassian think he was going to give in. Always stubborn enough to keep going. Also, if he didn't argue with Cassian, Luke just might die with him. "I understand how this curse is going to kill me. With worry."

Cassian chuckled, delirium kicking in along with the ice over his bones, hearing piano music. The first song he heard Luke play. Clair de lune. It's strange. Cassian always thought when you were dying you'd see your own life flash before your eyes, but all Cassian saw was Luke playing the piano, Luke laughing at Cassian after a particularly mischievous joke, Luke in the rain with big blue eyes shining at him before they kissed for the first time, Luke dancing, Luke sharing the pastries on his plate, Luke crying, and Luke now, red in the face and pushing to make it back to the castle.

The doors groaned, opening on their own. Glowing a sickly green, Mingus was off the floor, shining like a lightning bug this night. There were three Mingus's... and the world was tilting. His head was getting too heavy to keep up.

"I'm not letting you in here," Mingus said... to who?

"I live here." Cassian took a swing.

"Let me in," Luke snapped. He adjusted Cassian's arm, hoisting him up again by his waist. Gravity had another thing planned, pulling him to the ground. "No more arguing. Cass needs help. My help. So—" All the sounds changed, Luke's voice sounding like it was dropped into the ocean "—either let me in or let him die."

A beat went by too long to make Cassian think he just couldn't hear anymore.

Mingus finally answered, "You can come in under one condition..."

He said more, but Cassian didn't hear it. The last thing he registered was Luke calling his name.

#

Getting hit by an eighteen-wheeler might've been easier on Cassian's body. Forcing his eyes open, Cassian glanced around what he realized was his bedroom. His bedroom in the castle. Moon beams spilled between the curtains. Pieces of Cassian's memory were coming back together into one full picture.

Iris's apartment.

Flying to the castle.

Rhys.

"Luke?" Cassian called out to the empty room.

His stomach turned like rotten fruit. Sitting up to leave his bed, a wall of pain, so intense he had to close his eyes and furrow his brow to bear the weight of his headache, stopped Cassian. As a black dragon, Cassian was created to withstand the hottest fire on earth, skin stronger than these castle walls, and eyes to see through the darkest of nights. However, in this moment, he'd believe it if someone said if he moved too quick, he'd crumble into dust.