18. An Abandoned Castle

CASSIAN

It took time for Lord Cassian Alwyn to calm his heart. He sat on the rooftop with Luke as the day wasted away. Sitting by his side, Luke held his hand with zero complaints. Luke didn't ask questions. He just closed his eyes and rested his head against Cassian's shoulder. He wasn't even going to see anything Cassian didn't allow... and while Cassian focused on warming Luke's numbing digits it was in this stillness, this quietness that Cassian was overwhelmed by his feelings for Luke.

Where there used to only be the crackle of fire, Cassian could now hear the trill of piano music. It was less wildfire, now it was more like contained inside a home. A manor. Full of magic, housing magnificent creatures, and where he'd least expect it to stay burning. Cassian could smell the flowers. Could taste the sugar and cream he'd spill into his coffee.

He turned and pressed a kiss to the side of Luke's head, lingering there to smell his hair.

The scent of clean linen and lavender had the power to heal him. His sudden movement gave Luke a jump and Cassian made a small smile. Squeezing Luke's hand, Cassian said, "I'm sorry. We should get down from this roof before you freeze to death."

Without letting their hands break apart, Luke moved in front of Cassian. He had the smallest smile as he reached out to touch Cassian's cheek, rubbing the bottom of his jaw with his thumb. Cassian wanted to kiss Luke again. Being weak wasn't so bad if it was in front of Luke.

Only Luke.

"We don't have to stay here." Luke shook his head, presenting Cassian with all the comfort in the world. Just himself and a small smile. Lately, that was all it took. "If you don't want to be here, I don't want to be here either."

Cassian said nothing at first. The tip of his tongue was burning. He wanted to tell Luke, "I love you. I don't know how long I've been in love with you, but my love for you feels so much like a part of me. Without you, I forget myself. I love you and I know you fear for my life, but there is no life without you. Luke Aster. Luke Whitlock. Luke. I love you."

But Cassian didn't say that.

He took Luke's hand from his cheek and placed it over his burning heart. Cassian leaned in close, pressing his forehead to Luke's first before he kissed him and poured all his love into this kiss so they might burst with it. They stopped kissing, but Cassian couldn't bear to be apart. Everything was better with Luke right here. Cassian rubbed the back of Luke's neck and fixed his hair. He wanted to memorize every detail. He pulled Luke forward and Luke held him, wanting to be close just as much as him.

Cassian sighed. He could feel Luke's smile against his shoulder. Rubbing the back of Cassian's head, Luke whispered, "If you keep kissing me like that, I think my brain will turn to mush."

"Every now and then, it might not be so bad," Cassian said, feeling more like himself. "I promise to take care of you until you recover."

"What a gentleman." Luke laughed and as Cassian leaned back, more concern flickered across Luke's face, but Cassian just smiled. "Let's go. Let me take you home."

Luke's eyes widened. "B-but we don't ticket back to Virginia-"

"No, I mean come back to my castle." Cassian let himself laugh again, overjoyed by the man in his arms and his cuteness. He was too exhausted from today's events to pretend he wasn't insanely devoted to this human, so he let himself say exactly what he wanted. "We'll stay there tonight and figure out what to do later..."

"But how? Um, is Wales within driving distance? Or should we get tickets?"

"We'll fly."

"So, I should get tickets?"