14. When it Rains, it Pours

LUKE

Feeling stupid, Luke purposely dressed nice. He glared at himself in the mirror, debating if it was more pathetic to change or not. Changing would mean he cared. He wore his converse, knowing they'd be walking with beige pants rolled up and a tucked in white shirt. Over that, he wore his blue striped shirt. What was he even going for?

"This isn't a date," Luke mumbled and rolled up his sleeve.

The Magic Mirror chuckled. "Sure, Luke."

Luke dropped his hands. "I wasn't asking for your opinion."

"I don't give opinions. I give facts."

"Well," Luke grumbled and ran his fingers through his blonde hair to resemble any solace of style. "I still didn't ask."

"Wait until you see Lord Alwyn, then tell me this isn't a date."

Luke pointed at his own reflection. "I'm beginning to think you were made with evil intentions..." Taking a step back, Luke couldn't help but make an uncomfortable grimace. He looked up as if the mirror was really there. "So, you think I look okay?"

After a pause, the mirror said, "I think you look magnificent... and remember, I don't give opinions."

Luke smiled. "Thanks, Mirror."

"Luke? Are you ready?" Cassian asked and Luke really wished the mirror was a real man so he might punch him for not properly warning Luke. Luke's knees almost gave out and then, he'd ruin their day by crumbling into a silly little gooey puddle on the ground. Cassian wore worn out jeans, a brown leather jacket, and another shirt he avoided buttoning all the way.

While Luke's heart punched a hole in the wall of his chest, Cassian sighed. "You're really not going to wear a coat?"

Luke rolled his eyes. "We can't keep doing this."

He walked by Cassian, forced to slip by him in the doorway and he caught a whiff of Cassian's cologne. Luke's toes curled secretly inside his shoes and soon, strapped with one of Iris's canvas bags, the boys were on the streets of Paris. They travelled to the Rue Mouffetard Market, joining the lively narrowed streets. Luke's mouth water and his stomach ached like he never ate anything in his life. Ever.

Pushing Cassian, Luke pointed to what he wanted, and Cassian did all the talking. The best Luke could say was "Merci" for "Thank you", but he also knew how to apologize and excuse himself for all the times he bumped into people while he was busy being starry eyed and slack jawed at everything he saw.

"Watch out," Cassian said at some point and grabbed Luke's hand. Luke was puddy in this man's hand. Not even looking before he crossed the street, he just stared at Cassian and let Cassian drag him to the other side of the bricked road.

Luke couldn't stop buying something from every stall from cheeses, fruits, breads, and desserts. Cassian would just smile and do as Luke asked, adding to the bag. "You're going to eat all of this?" Cassian posed.

"Don't pretend you're not going to help me." Luke rolled his eyes. "As if you don't eat twice as me."

This accidently took them to the Luxembourg gardens for a picnic, but it took ages to finally settle and eat. Luke couldn't soak up enough of the flowers, fountains, the statues, and even the palace that the beauty surrounded. They found an expansive patch of grass, surrounded by larger-than-life trees cut like hedges with the greyish sky above them. Luke ate until he thought he might explode and laid in the grass. Cassian joined him, completely relaxing into the ground.

Luke was never going to be able to come back here.

This city was suddenly painted in Cassian.

He'd never think of Paris without thinking of Cassian Alwyn.