12. How to Prevent Forest Fires

LUKE

Quietly, Luke went back to his seat and soon, they landed and Cassian woke up with a huge stretch. Luke watched him with a knowing smile. Still not speaking. They gathered their things when Arthur poked his head out to say goodbye. He pulled Luke into a tight hug and emerged with a piece of paper in his hands. "Take this."

There was a number here.

"What—?" Before he could ask, Arthur already had the answer.

"Obviously, it's not mine, but it is a decent guy's number. Luke, I just hate the idea of you being all alone in that big house."

"I'm fine."

"Fine isn't good enough. You shouldn't let it be good enough." He put his hands on Luke's shoulders and declared, "It's your life. You deserve to be happy. I'm not saying you should give this young man a call, but he's nice, strong, and my nephew and I think you two could get along."

Luke let out a small smile. "Is that so? Well, thank you for caring."

"I'll always be here."

With a nod, Luke put the paper in his pocket and avoided Cassian's stare. His skin prickled from the attention. Everywhere they went, Luke was so aware of Cassian. His presence radiated from him and hit Luke like sun rays.

But Cassian didn't make a comment about it.

They climbed into the car Arthur called and rode through Paris towards Zipper's apartment. The streets were full and the buildings were closer together and compacted than Luke had imagined. Everything was both similar and yet, held little quirks of their own like most of humanity that wished to stand out. The trees were either lush with greenery or bursting with colors from the blooming cherry blossoms, apple trees, peonies, and tulips.

Elegant, stylish, and teaming with old world beauty. Paris itself felt like a page out of time. It screamed Iris Whitlock's name.

"This is unreal," Luke said, nearly bouncing from the excitement. Forgetting all about their fight, Luke looked at Cassian with the hope he was having as much fun as him. He was grinning so wide his cheek ached.

His arm resting on the door, Cassian was holding his chin up and watching Luke. Cassian had that crooked, wicked little smile and it gave Luke a funny feeling. Not a "haha" funny feeling. A funny that didn't make Luke laugh at all.

Cassian nodded. "It's very charming."

Luke looked back through the window, unable to digest the beautiful street full of beautiful people and cafes and shops because of the beautiful man next to him. Instead, he crammed the car with small talk, so maybe it would outweigh the growing tension.

For a while now the sparks between them were getting out of hand.

Sparks might be small, but even the smallest spark had the potential to start a forest fire.

The car ride didn't last long. Before Luke knew it, he was waltzing up the stairs to an old apartment building with red carpet living the stairs and wrought spindling iron for railing. They climb seven floors until they reached Iris's apartment. Luke held his breath, half thinking the key wouldn't twist, but he walked right inside to the foyer, walking again into another world.

The floors were a light wood and the walls were crisp white with intricate molding. He was greeted by a large round mirror and a small green velvet bench. There was a small table with a large shell shade plate for the key in his hand. Right in front of the mirror was a porcelain vase full of long dried up roses.

Glancing around the doorway, Luke's mouth opened as he took in the light of the huge French windows. Unlike their home in Virginia and the apartment in New York that was all maximalism and intricate and full and cluttered, this place was fresh, clean, and elegant in a way Iris typically reserved with her dress.