7. The Enchanted Pantry

CASSIAN

After going over all of Iris's ledgers and her field notes, Cassian had already found the code. He just didn't realize it was key to getting into the basement. That revelation paired well with Luke's skeleton key, and they were able to gain access to the Iris's real storage room. Not the little closet in the library. Everything magical they've managed to find had been from Iris's personal library... walking through the basement raised the scales across Cassian's arms.

Magic laid across this room thicker than the dust. Everything here smelled a little old, a little like neglect. Boxes were piled into old wooden shelves alongside things that flickered in dusty glass cages and hummed inside of bags. There were even old chests with frozen locks that felt piping hot. And in true Iris fashion, there were speakers in the corners. Cassian put on a Frank Sinatra record earlier and he could still hear old Blue Eyes voice trickle and fight past the grime.

"No wonder she kept this underground," Cassian said, off handedly as he was impressed by the life still burning in the hanging lights. "All this stuff is asking for trouble."

Luke hummed in agreement.

He wandered through this warehouse like he probably browsed aisles in the grocery store. Cassian stayed a few steps back, following Luke closely and watching his edges as Cassian waited for the white of Luke's aura to change. Something in here must fancy the human's interest and darken that pure aura into green... but white it stayed, and Cassian was forced to question things that were once so simple. Cassian wondered if fire was still hot, was the sky still blue, and if he could still fly.

Luke didn't make any sense.

After another beat of silence, of only the words to Somethin' Stupid played in the background, Cassian couldn't take it anymore and asked, "So... How is Astrid enjoying her visit to her daughter? Rosie, was it? I assume they're close."

Cassian wouldn't know.

Without turning to look at Cassian, Luke browsed the strange racks. He developed enough self-preservation not to touch anything. Cassian studied him, just noticing how long Luke's neck was and he wondered if his hair was freshly cut. His golden blonde locks were so neatly trimmed.

This man didn't make sense.

He'd wear crisp button ups, but they'd be too big, and he'd pair them with old sweatpants. Sometimes he'd even wear a hefty wristwatch, but house slippers with holes.

If Cassian ever saw Luke dressed in a tuxedo, he was sure the human would match it with clown shoes or one of those horrific beer hats.

"It's alright, Cassian." When Luke spoke, it sounded like he was smiling. "You don't have to make small talk with me if you don't want to."

Cassian nodded, unsure when he said he didn't want to talk to Luke, but he supposed he never gave Luke any reason to think differently. Forcing down a gulp of well-deserved medicine, Cassian chose the other side of the warehouse and explored, humming along to the music. Eventually, they met in the middle and in the dim light, Cassian remembered Luke's eyes were blue and there was a freckle underneath his brow that he had never noticed before.

"Guess, we'll catalogue it all tomorrow," Luke suggested.

"I guess so."

He let Luke walk back upstairs first, taking a moment to watch him leave.

His aura was still the same.

But deep down, Cassian felt different about it.

#