8. Luke has had lots of boyfriends

CASSIAN

"You might want to think about it," that woman had said.

And that was the only thing plaguing Cassian's mind.

Imagine. That strange woman assumed they were boyfriends. What a ridiculous notion that any boyfriend of Cassian's would be waltzing around some dirty store and buying groceries like that.

Whoever thought Cassian Alwyn's boyfriend would be anywhere other than a room of treasures, silks, and doing anything other than keeping his feet up and being waited on hand and foot would be out of their minds. No boyfriend of Cassian Alwyn would be treated with anything less than the respect of nobility. If Luke was Cassian Alwyn's boyfriend, he would be surrounded by his horde of gold and never lift a finger.

Luke would never have to work hard.

He'd never stress over having to compose anything again.

"Cass." Luke appeared by Cassian's side wearing a "kiss the chef" apron. He also forced a tacky apron on Cassian too that said, "I Burn Water!"

Luke stepped closer to him, hovering against Cassian's arm. Luke tilted his head, looking down at the half chopped vegetables. "Did you know in order to cut vegetables, you have to actually..." Luke mimed the motion "cut them?"

Despite Cassian's insistence that he did know how to cook and cooked for himself quite frequently, Luke still decided on an easy meal like fajitas. As soon as they got home, Luke pulled out a pair of margarita glasses that were enchanted to stay cold and keep from creating too much condensation, pouring them two drinks.

With that absolutely evil smile, Luke explained, "Come on, it's the best part of cooking. The drinking."

Cassian could now see the lasting effects in the human's face: redness, glassy eyes, and a constant smile. Amazing how a little tequila could make someone so expressive. Meanwhile, Cassian's natural body heat and the literal fire in his body, most alcohol was immediately burned out.

"What's wrong?" Luke asked, returning to his pan of sizzling flank steak. "What are you thinking about?"

"Do you have a boyfriend?"

Luke's arm slipped and he smacked the side of his hand on the pan, snatching it back in the same motion to put his mouth around the burn. Sighing, Cassian turn the stove on low and brought Luke by his arm to the sink, putting Luke's hand under the cold water. Luke shook his head. "Wh-why would you even ask that—? Are you thinking about what that woman at the store said?"

"A question doesn't answer a question."

"Sometimes it does. You're not the lord of answering questions."

Cassian's brow furrowed and upon closer examination to Luke's face, Cassian realized the drink must be hitting him harder. He was twice as red now. Cassian said, "You can just say you've never had a boyfriend."

Three times as red.

Aghast, Luke sputtered and pulled his arm from Cassian. He stomped back to the cooking food, insisting, "I've had boyfriends. Plenty of boyfriends."

Cassian hummed, pretending like he didn't believe Luke. He didn't catch the whiff of a lie, but there was something so thrilling about finally getting to be the one who teased. Suddenly, Cassian understood why Luke did it.

It was fun.

Almost like riding a bike, Cassian might've forgotten how to have fun, but he was picking it back up slowly as if he just needed some practice and he'd be back to having fun in no time. Maybe the key was having someone to play with. The only source of company back home was a ghost named Mingus that was murdered at a dinner party by accident. Their conversation amounted mostly to who Mingus scared at the front door and if there was a change in the weather.