Chapter 3. Second Chance

Castiel was immediately thrown into a fight for his very life. The forest was infested with monsters of every kind imaginable. At best, he could walk for...he didn't know how long. There was no way to tell time in Purgatory. At worst, though, he was defending himself five to one. It hadn't taken him long to find out that God had left him without his powers.

Cas thanked his father for letting him keep his angel blade as he sunk it hilt-deep into a vampire. Not that it really did anything except slow it down; the vamp advanced in him again. Sighing, he decided he really needed to get something for decapitation. He grabbed the vampire as it charged and pinned it to the ground in one swift motion. Before he could change his mind, Castiel took the vampire's head in both of his hands and twisted hard to the left, pulling it straight off. Blood instantly coated his hands, which he just wiped off on his pants.

The one way to survive in the cold forest, Cas discovered, was to keep moving. There was always something following, watching, stalking. One moment of hesitation could cost his life. The angel was thankful that he didn't need to eat or sleep, though he did grow tired after a time.

Castiel alternated between walking and running until he found a tree with low enough branches for him to climb. Heaving himself up, the angel wedged himself up to the trunk. It felt good to be able to stop moving, even though he still had to remain alert.

Cas sat up straighter when he heard footsteps running through the fallen leaves, peering down below him. The footsteps stopped suddenly, right below his tree. Cas tried to lean down far enough to see what it was, but his angle wasn't any good. The angel quietly and carefully moved two branches over and looked directly below him.

The angel almost fell out of the tree at the sight. Slowly, Cas made his way back down to the ground, standing right behind him.

"Dean."

The man whirled around and pinned Castiel to the tree behind him. There was a wild look in Dean's eyes, and it took him a minute to recognize Cas.
Once he had, he wrapped the angel in his arms and practically crushed him.
"Cas," he whispered "thank God, I thought I'd never see you again."
Castiel slid down to sit on the ground and pulled Dean into his lap. "It's alright, I'm here now. I'm here to bring you back. Everything will be okay."
The hunter curled into his angel's embrace, sliding his arms around Cas's waist. They sat like that for who knows how long, simply enjoying each others company for the first time in so long.
Then they heard the growl.

A/N: I know, this is another short chapter. Stick with me, though! Another update is coming soon.
~lesbianpanda