Chapter 6. Diamond Eyes

A/N: I decided to write this chapter from Dean's POV because I got bored. (That's what happens to us high-functioning sociopaths.)

Dean

Sometime later, Dean woke to find himself still in his partner's lap. As he came awake, he realized that he cheek was wet. Dean looked up to Cas to see tears silently sliding down the angel's face.

"Cas," Dean whispered, sitting up and wiping his lover's cheeks. "Cas, baby, what's wrong? What happened?"

"It's nothing, Dean. Do not worry."
"Dammit, Cas," the hunter sighed, "you know you can tell me. And don't say that nothing's wrong, I know that's a lie. I've never seen you cry before. So what happened?"

Cas only shook his head at the question, leaning into his lover's embrace. "I don't want to hurt you..." he whispered into Dean's chest.

Dean pulled away and tilted Cas' head to look firmly into his eyes. "What the hell even gave you the idea you were hurting me?"

"It's obvious, Dean. I'm know good for you..." Cas' voice trailed away and he bowed his head to avoid making eye contact.

Dean wrapped his arms tightly around the angel. "I love you, Cas. You know that. You're the best thing that's ever happened in my crappy life. Why do you think that anything you do would hurt me?"

"I'm sorry..." was all that his angel could whisper.

Just then, Benny walked up to them. "Once you're done with your moment, I've found a path we can take. Not much used by monsters."

"Give us a minute." Dean said to Benny, smoothing his hands over Cas' back. The vampire walked away, leaving Cas and Dean together. The two of them sat quietly for a few minutes, until the angel had calmed down and dried his face.

"I love you, Cas," Dean whispered into his hair, "don't you forget that."

xXx

Benny had been right when he said that the path wasn't used by monsters. They came across a Wendigo, which Dean somehow managed to torch with the lighter he still had in his pocket, and another vampire, which Benny managed to behead with his makeshift hatchet.

Beginning to worry that they were actually getting anywhere, Dean laced his fingers through Castiel's. The angel was a comfort to him, and reminded him of his life back home.

'Back home' had started to feel so far away. He stopped being able to remember faces a long time ago; now, even Baby was fading. Dean hoped that this portal was close by.

As if he read Dean's mind, Benny said "we're not far away."

The hunter breathed a sigh of relief, which, in retrospect, probably jinxed them. The trio all saw the black smoke hurtling down from the sky and took cover. There were three of them, and they hit the ground right in front of where the hunter, angel, and vampire stood.

The creatures bared their fangs as they advanced. Benny readied his hatchet, Cas pulled out his angel blade, and Dean...picked up the nearest large rock. Man, it sucked, not having a weapon he could use.

It took longer than expected, decapitating the Leviathans. Benny's was the only tool that could really be used to chop, whereas Cas' stabbed and Dean's smashed. Eventually, though, all three were headless. Dean grabbed his lighter and burned the heads while the other two worked to bury the bodies. There was no way these Leviathans would put themselves back together.

Benny stepped back to observe the work they had done and sighed, crossing his arms. "We should keep going."

It wasn't long until they could see the portal, glowing blue in the dimness of the surrounding forest. When they got closer, Dean noticed Cas and Benny exchange a look.

Benny nodded and turned to the hunter. "Dean, there's something you gotta know about this here portal. It's a human portal. I can ride you through it, back into the world of the living, but Castiel has to stay down here."

Dean stopped in his tracks and felt his knees buckle. The man glared daggers at the vampire, but addressed Cas in a slow, calm tone. "Did you know about this?"

Castiel nodded, before realizing that the hunter couldn't see him. "Yes," Cas said quietly. "It's the best thing to do, Dean. You can get to safety and I'll wait until my father sees fit to return me to you."

"Dammit, Cas! I'm not leaving you down here alone!"

Cas shied from his lover's outburst, but then wound his fingers through Dean's. "Please listen to reason. This is what's best for all of us. I'll be fine down here."

Sighing, Dean turned to Benny. "I'm not leaving my angel alone here. If you want to get out, find another way."

"There isn't one, Dean. God promised to return Cas, but he never said anything about you. For all you know, you could be trapped here forever."