Chapter 9 - Glad She Came

As usual, they went through every day without thinking much about the sadness of a long-distance relationship. On a bright day when the sun was shining lustrously, Beatrice got a phone call from Bryan – asking her to take a week's break and have a great time with him in Minnesota. One thing that he did not tell her was they were going to meet his parents for the first time during this heavy winter in the midlands.

 Even though Bryan had told her that his parents had been living in the state numerous times, like her normal self – the wedding planner totally forgot about the fact and she blindly flew to Minnesota on her own since Bryan already headed there from San Francisco.

She arrived at Minneapolis–Saint Paul International Airport, the main airfield for the state of Minnesota where she was picked up by her beloved boyfriend in the airport. Still, Beatrice is clueless about their vacation here since what she knows – Minnesota did not have many attractions like other places in the United States. Since it was December, the northern regions of those American continents were filled with thick snow but it did not stop Bryan from telling his girlfriend about the town that he grew up in.

"Are we going to meet up with your parents? Why did not tell me in the first place, Bryan Wu?" She was panicked after Bryan told her about a part of history in that place. Automatically, Beatrice's brain digested something and she knew that they would meet up with his parents in Lakeville, a town in Minnesota.

"I thought you knew about our trip since I countlessly told you that my parents live in Minnesota. Are you forgetting, sweetie?" He questioned her memories as he did not like to inform the same thing a thousand times. As someone forgetful like Beatrice, she was reliable on her book planner and without it – she would be drowning herself in great depression due to her disremember nature. One more thing, Beatrice also did not remember much of a simple thing since she did not bother to think about it; thus, cost her this time.

In the neighbourhood of Lakeville where Bryan's family home is located, Bryan was greeted warmly but not Beatrice as she felt his parents did not like her appearance inside the house especially his mother. As someone who was not familiar with the Chinese custom, Beatrice almost made his mother pissed off with her as she forgot to remove her shoes once they entered the house. This happened because Bryan once again forgot to remind her about his household rules which she thought were ridiculous. For her, who does remove the shoes inside the house during the tremendous winter?

"Bryan, tell her she should wear these guest slippers instead." Mrs Wu gave her son a pair of wool slippers for Beatrice so she could warm her up later. She sighed, did not understand from all the thousand's Chinese women in America – why should her only son court the White just like her daughter before; who'd date Martin and end up heartbroken.

The Chinese man gave the slippers to Beatrice not before he whispered something – so his mother would not hear about their conversation. The first time he told his parents about the love of his heart, Mrs Wu went tantrum with his decision as she was afraid the same thing might happen to him just like Reanna, who'd been dumped by her White American boyfriend.

"I hope you're able to be patient with my parents, particularly my mother. You would stay with Reanna during your time here and don't worry, she is a nice person." He reassured her that she can adapt well to his family even though he saw how his mother treated her.

"It's okay for you but not for me. I am hurt the way your mother staring at me, Bryan." She hugged him tightly, trying to find a sense of inner peace from the hurtful experience she got in Minnesota. During her previous relationship, all of her past boyfriends did not bother to bring her to their parents and as for her – she doesn't mind it as long as they are still loyal to her. But on these times around, she just wanted to secure her relationship with Bryan until both of them got hitched with one another.