Chapter 10: Swear It Again

As revealed by Bryan about his attention to marrying Beatrice to his family, everyone was not thrilled about it except for Reanna – who was happy that her brother whom she loves dearly. However, both Mr and Mrs Wu were reluctant to accept Beatrice for multiple reasons.

 First and foremost, she is not a Chinese girl like they always dreamt of becoming their daughter-in-law and another reason for this matter definitely the culture between them was different. Even though Reanna used to date a Caucasian and their niece Wendy is married to a Hispanic – it did not change the fact that they wanted a Chinese woman to be their first daughter-in-law.

"Ma, how come you cannot accept Beatrice to be your brother's wife. Look at her; she's pretty, brilliant and got a degree in economics, thus what other reason is that you can't take her to be your daughter-in-law." Reanna tried to convince her mother to just go with Bryan's decision of marrying Beatrice since she felt that the two were made in heaven.

"Aiyaa, Reanna. I want my firstborn to marry a good Chinese woman so he can bore me a pure Chinese grandchild." Mrs Wu replied in her stubbornness, as the couple was very conservative and tenacious with their principle.

"Your mother is right, Reanna. Bryan, don't you have any other girl to be your wife? I mean you have money, a career, a house and a car. Why amongst a lot of fishes in the sea, you chose her?" Then Mr Wu time to add gasoline to the burning flame. He did not talk much, but he also agreed with his wife that Bryan should marry someone that belongs to their race and culture.

Like a knife stabbing through her heart, Beatrice excused herself from the family conversation as she felt like an intruder inside their household. For the first time, she received such a strong disliked opinion from someone thus dejected her much. She went to the washroom and cried out loud – hurt with his parents that disapproved of their upcoming marriage.

"Pa, how could you guys be so xenophobia? We are living in the 21st century now and whoever I want to marry is my choice, not yours." Angered by their behaviour that he thought was inappropriate towards her, he spoke harshly. Then, he stood up and went to the bathroom and comforted Beatrice so she would not feel hopeless throughout the trip to Minnesota.

Throughout the day, the Wu's were tense due to the misunderstanding between the two parties thus leaving Reanna in the middle – who still could not side with her parents or her brother. On that night, Bryan came again into Reanna's room with the hope he could comfort his fiancée once again. Last evening, he already tried to smooth-talk with her but it was worthless as Beatrice did not want to see him at the lowest point of her life. To win her heart this time around, Bryan brought a tray of warm milk and chocolate cookies for her so she would be happy back. Who could not resist that ultimate bedtime snack?

"Hey, sweetie. I bring you cookies and milk. Please don't cry anymore because I cannot stand myself to see you in despair." He said, placing the tray on the nightstand beside the bed not before he hugged securely.

"What should I do to get your parent's approval of me? Am I not worthy enough for you?" She questioned him with a tear that was still flowing out from her eyes. From the moment she arrived in the state of Minnesota, nothing went smoothly as she received a lot of negative vibes from being treated coldly by his parents and caught in fever during the chilly season of the year.

"Just be yourself. Don't worry, Bea. I'm always on your back." He replied, kissing her forehead tenderly. Bryan thought that if he could not cope with their problems now, how they would like to be a great life partner and solve the unpredictable marriage obstacles.

She nodded solemnly, drinking the milk that he brought earlier. Thanks to Bryan, she felt much better than before as the cookie and milk had lifted her mood entirely. Even though his parents did not approve of their marriage now, she would not be giving up without trying to please them thus making the conservative couple accept her to be the spouse of their beloved urban planner's son.