A Little Talk {chapter 9}

((Hey everyone! It's been a while since the last chapter I know. Things have been hectic. I was in two different productions over the summer and I'm now working on moving! So time to write has been spacey at best. And I have way too many projects. But this one finally got some attention woo! Hope y'all enjoy this chapter. It's honestly one of my favorites so far.))

Narrator
The next morning Y/n found himself on the couch. The sound of the tea kettle coming to a boil, whistling in his ears. When did he end up there? He hadn't had a single idea.

"Ah you're awake." John says walking up to them. "Would you like a cup of tea?"

"Two sugars" Y/n says sitting up.

"Right" John says walking back to the kitchen, leaving Y/n to sit and puzzle about last night. They didn't remember much besides music.

"Are you alright?" John asks.

"I'm fine" Y/n lied. They had a bad feeling and couldn't place why. That's when they noticed Sherlock perched by the window, sitting incredibly still. "Is he alright?" John sighs.

"Lestrade called earlier this morning. They found nothing out of the ordinary at Ms. Cordlock's place." John explains.

"You were wrong" Sherlock says walking away without even a glance at the others.

Y/n's pov

This I did not like. I was hardly ever wrong when it came to my work, and when I was it was always minor inconsequential things. But this? I had gotten the suspect completely wrong. I hadn't had that happen in years.

And Sherlock was disappointed. That I really didn't like. I had built up high expectations. He thought I was capable and I failed. Was he going to trust me at all now? Or would he let it go because it was just one mistake? I had no idea. It all depended on what kind of person he really was and I hadn't completely figured him out yet.

Which was concerning to say the least. I was usually pretty good at figuring people out. Like the fact John was obviously a war vet, and he was so desperate to find love because he believes he should have some sort of 'normal' in his life. When truly he is in love with the action and chaos of his life with Sherlock. Which concludes that he is in love with Sherlock. That I know without a shadow of a doubt.

"Don't worry about him. He gets like this when he believes he's been wasting time and there's nothing he can do about it." John says. He was trying to be reassuring. He's very kind.
"I wish I could say I knew he'd get over it. But I'm not sure. We haven't met a lot of people like you" he sets down what I assume to be my cup of tea. I was correct as usual.

"In what way?"

"Thinking similar as Sherlock." John says. "Everyone close to his skill level are murderers and such."

"So the only way he knows how to treat me is like a criminal he's examining."

"Pretty much yeah."

This made sense. He'd never dealt with someone as smart as me on his side before. So must be finding it hard to treat me like an equal because we're not rivals.

"I suppose he's not the best with the emotional side of things then?"

"Oh how'd you guess?" John says obviously joking as he sat down beside me. He took a sip of tea and shook his head. "It's so strange to watch him struggle with something I understand."

"But do you really understand it Watson?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" John asks obviously a little offended.

"Well emotions are a very complicated thing. No one understands them perfectly. It's what makes life far more interesting. The fact that any small thing can cause an emotion that will cause a choice in a person. No matter what the thing is."

"That's true."

Oh good Watson was following a long. He may not be a genius, but he's obviously very smart.

"The only way to predict emotions is on that persons past emotions with a few exceptions such as pain. It's very easy to predict pain. Because it's one of the most common emotions that is caused or really connected to a physical response. But Watson tell me, did you know that all emotions can be physically felt?"

"Well, to some extent of course. I'm human."

"Not just human you're obviously a smart one. Anyways, Sherlock seems to have trouble with emotions because he thinks about how everything effects everything else. Emotions are a variable he simply doesn't know how to factor into his already complicated enough equation."

"You seem to really have him figured out." John says. It was hard to tell if he was impressed or surprised. "He's not completely clueless to emotions though. When it comes to motives he has that down to a tee. It only becomes a struggle when.

"When it's someone close too him." Ahh. There we go now it's making more sense. "So, in an emotional sense, He's so used to studying people from afar so the closer he gets to him that harder it is for him to understand. That actually explains a lot."

"Like what?" Oh he was so curious. Poor thing still has no idea? After that talk I think it would be obvious. How did he not know?

"I'm sure you'll find out soon enough Watson"

"Just call me John."

"Are you into blokes?" I ask. Purely to catch him off guard too see what he'd do.

"What- no. Why would you-?" He stammered red in the face. Now that was amusing. So he's still stuck there huh? Probably internalized homophobia or something like that.

"Oh that's a shame. I would have asked you on a date. Maybe a nice cafe?"

"A date? You wanted to ask me out on a date?" John questions surprised.

"Why you interested?" I ask with a smirk.

"Well." John stood there a bit too stunned to say anything for a moment. Had he never been treated to a date before? Shame. He is an attractive fellow. I mean I may only be doing this to help him realize he's in love with Sherlock; Or too piss off Sherlock enough to make him realize he's in love with him. But, if that wasn't the case, I probably would have asked him anyway.
"I have nothing better to do this morning. And it's better then watching Sherlock sulk all day."

"Alright let's go then." I finished my tea before grabbing my jacket off the coat rack. "This'll be fun."