A promise

(Elias)

“So you're mute? At least that's what Raina told me. It seems as if you two are close, I don't know whether I should like it or not.” I narrowed my eyes at Ryker, the annoying bastard who decided to follow me after I left. Everyone else left as well when we accepted each other. I don't know his game, acting like he's possessive of me when I already know what he's like.

'Yes, I'm mute, one more thing to add to your reasons for not wanting a mate.' I shot back, earning a chuckle from which, which, I assumed, was fake. He's trying hard, to win me over. I know people like him, so I won't fall for this sort of trick anymore.

“I'm just stating the obvious. We are mates now, are we not? Being possessive towards you should be the least of your worries.” He replied with a smug look on his face.

I groaned inwardly as I tried to maneuver my way through the pack land, so I could get to the treehouse Raina brought me to before. It wasn't that far away, so I decided to walk, so I could get to clear my head. But I couldn't even get that one wish, now, could I?

'What goes on between Raina and I is not any of your business. I know what you're up to, so please stop. I'm no fool, Forest made sure of that.' It's unfortunate when you think of it.

I was always being tutored by my wolf, being protected by him as well, something my parents failed to do. They were the ones who should have been there for me, but my wolf took over that role. It's a good thing he's smart too and is also someone I can count on.

'Why thank you, my dearest son.' Forest replied with a grunt as he rolled over while panting a little. He didn't seem to care if Ryker and I accepted each other, even though he's the one who told me to do it in the first place. He's not the type of wolf to whine after a mate, thank the goddess for that.

“You have things to do but here you are running off to goddess knows where, don't you want to find out about your warlock side and why your powers are gone?” Ryker asked, but I shook my head instead.

'No. I'd rather much leave it at that. My soul isn't wandering anymore. Your brother is alright given the fact that he was my second chance mate. What I want to work on the most is to figure out how I can get you to leave me alone and for Ryland to get over the fact that we aren't mates anymore.' It was strange though, knowing that my soul chose Ryland as my second chance mate, and during Ryker's and I's rejection of each other, it also affected Ryland.

“I see that you are not just a wanderer, but you are also stubborn. Why would anyone want to give up a part of them that they were already destined to be?” Ryker asked badly, he tried his best to catch up to me given the fact that I was speed walking to get away from him.

'I don't have to explain anything to you. I still remember what you did when I was captured by you. Don't think for a second I will forgive you, I'm not as stupid as you think. If I'm ready, or when I'm ready, I will look into that. But in the meantime, I would rather be alone right now, so stop annoying me and go find someone to fuck.' I replied, getting angry at his presence. Forest was shocked by the way I had just spoken, and somehow it seems as if he was also proud.

'Proud would be the understatement of the year, I am fucking happy to be rubbing off on you, you seem to learn fast, my dearest.' Forest replied. Ryker decided to stop following me, seeing as how his attention was irritating me and that he wasn't able to get me to bend to his will. I wasn't a fool, if he thought that I would roll over and forgive him like that, he had another thing coming.

Their visit, especially Andrea's had left me confused. I wanted to be able to have some time for myself to think about what she had said instead. It would be easier to let Raina transport me here, but I wanted to walk. I would rather not depend on her all the time, and she already gave me free access to the treehouse, so why not use it to my advantage?

'We could run there, you know.' Forest said, making me freeze.

'Are you certain? Shifting would require a lot of energy, something you are yet to retain. That's why I didn't ask you about it.' I was still concerned about him, he has been using a lot of his energy lately all because of me, I wanted to be able to depend on myself some time too.

'I'm well-rested Elias, plus we are shifting for different reasons, it wouldn't be a problem at all, believe me. So let's shift, so we can make it there faster, you aren't as quick as you used to be, given the fact that you're getting old.' I laughed silently and got ready to do what he said.

'Oh, you have shot an arrow through my heart there Forest, thanks for the insult.' I replied, which had him grunting.

'No problem.' Forest said and shifted before I could say anything else. He took off like a bullet, pointing out that he enjoyed being in his wolf form.

'Tell me one thing, Forest, tell me that everything will be alright from now on.' I said, not sure if I was convincing myself more than anything.

'I can't promise you that Elias, it will go downhill from now on, I have a feeling that Ryker is trying to charm his way into our lives, just don't give in and everything will probably be alright. I just hope that we don't have to run because I won't stand by and let you get hurt. Over my dead body, and that's the one promise I'm willing to keep.' I knew that Forest was overprotective of me, but I didn't know to what extent, I was just getting an idea. If it means we have to leave this pack, just to be safe, we will and no one will be able to stop us.