Chapter 3.

Homer woke up with a massive headache, and a whole lot of hunger. He looked around the strange room he was in, trying to remember where he was and why he was there.

Oh, Skinner had driven him home last night. Homer was still a bit confused, but decided to just see if there was any food. He searched the kitchen, finding only a few packs of unmade Jello.

Good enough. He brought them back to the sitting room and ate them while considering his options. He could go back to his house.. no, his apartment, and try calling Marge. But, she probably wouldn't even talk to him. Homer felt sick when he remembered his last time talking (or shouting) to Marge. They were both so angry. Homer could probably end up with custody of Bart and shared custody of Maggie and Lisa, but since Marge was so mad at him it didn't seem likely that he would see Maggie or Lisa in a very long time. 

He started to tear up, realising he had screwed up his marriage, his family and his entire life. He had to rent a small dingy apartment because Marge kicked him out of the house. It was barely enough for him to live in, and if Bart had to move in as well they would be packed in like sardines.

Homer wandered back into the kitchen, looking for more Jello. Instead, he found a scribbled note from Skinner telling him to call if he needs anything. Homer needed answers. 

He took his cellphone out of his pocket and typed in Skinners number. Hearing just the leave a message sound, he tells Skinner that he is going to sort some things out with Marge and he will be back later.

Stepping outside, his eyes take a second to adjust to the bright sun. Twirling his keys in his fingers, he assessed the neighbourhood he was in. He seemed to be a few blocks away from Evergreen Terrace, and judging the distance he was about... five minutes walk away. 

Homer headed towards his car, whistling solemnly. He needed to talk to Marge to decide who got which kid, same for the pets and their furniture. 

It was nice of Skinner to let him stay at his place for a while. The apartment Homer had rented was small, damp and beginning to mould. Not exactly prime living conditions. Marge had kicked him out of the house (literally) and wouldn't let him back inside. He only had $250 on him, and even less in his bank account. To be honest, he probably won't be able to afford his apartment for much longer. Hopefully Skinner lets him live at his place for a bit longer. Just until he gets another pay-check.

Driving absentmindedly, he almost missed the turn onto Evergreen Terrace. It made him cry, remembering the times he had here. He's even beginning to miss stupid Flanders. 

As he pulled into the driveway, he noticed Lisa staring at him through the living room window. God, he really missed Lisa. He waved at her, but she ducked back behind the window. 

He walked slowly up to the door, and reached for his keys. The door opened right as he was about to open it. 

"Hello Homer"

Marge, beautiful Marge. If only she could forgive him, but even Homer couldn't forgive himself for what he did. 

He stepped inside his old home, his head hanging low.