Chapter 5. (TRIGGER WARNING)

TW - Attempted suicide, depression

______________________________________________

Homer sat in the middle of the dark living room, contemplating his bad decisions that led to his situation. The lightbulbs flickered softly above his head, reminding him that he was no longer able to rely on Marge for support. Skinner's thoughtfulness the past few days had made Homer feel less alone, but he knew he didn't deserve any of it. What he had done was unforgivable and he deserved to be rotting away in this apart-hell. 

His life was pointless, worthless and undeserving of pity. The thought of Lisa, Bart and Maggie made Homer feel the tears rise behind his eyes. He might never get to have a happy day with them again. They would merely remember him as the abusive, angry man-ape he had presented himself as for the last 20 years. Homer had made sure that any happy memory was tainted with his drunkenness or anger.

In other words, he was a shit father, and now he's getting what he deserves.

The only way Homer saw to get out of this was to end it all. 

So he decided, the world would be better off without him. Less streetlights would be ran into, Moe's Tavern might get a paying customer in his place, and the constant cloud of anger and pain that followed Homer around would finally leave him be.

Maybe Marge and the kids might even start a happier life, with someone stable like Artie Ziff, or Superintendent Chalmers.

So, Homer walked into his kitchen. The smell of damp, moulding walls was just encouragement to let go of life. He had a line of rope stored under the sink in case of emergencies, and to him this was an emergency.

Pulling it out of the cupboard, he surveyed the uncovered pipes and vents on the ceiling, trying to decide which could hold his weight. 

He chose a sturdy-looking metal pipe a few centimetres away from the opening leading to the living room. Hopefully if there is a God, he will make this painless and quick.

Grabbing a chair from the dining table, he stood unsteadily on it and started to tie the noose.

As he stood back to prepare himself, he heard a knock on the door. He disregarded it. It was too late for someone to change his mind now. Stepping up onto the chair, he heard another knock on the door, louder this time.  

Sighing, he hoped it wasn't someone important, like Marge or Lisa. 

He stood on the chair and took a deep breath. 

Just as he was about to put the noose around his neck, Skinner broke down the door and ran into the room.

"Homer, I know you think this is the only way to stop everything, but it isn't. Please just step back and talk to me." Skinner ran into the room, an unrecognisable look on his face. 

Perhaps someone really does care. Homer sighed and walked over to Seymour. Grabbing him by the shoulders, he looked straight into his eyes. "I need to do this Skinner. Im not a good person. I deserve this." 

Skinner wiped a tear from the corner of Homers eye. "Maybe. But maybe the world will get a little worse without you there. You can't just give up, your kids need you. I need you."

Homer smiled. "Okay Skinman. I wont. But I cant live here like this for much longer." He walked over to the noose and began to untie it. 

"Skinner... do you think I could stay at your place for a little while? Just until I get back on my feet of course." Homer knew he was asking a lot, but he really felt like Seymour was the only person who understood him. 

Skinner nodded, and began walking outside. "Come on, if your going to be staying with me we might as well go over now." 

They both walked outside to Skinners car, and Homer started to believe things might actually get better.