Chapter Sixty-Seven

"That's good ta hear!" Engie celebrated, digging for something in his pocket. "And I finished that knife for ya." He grabbed it and handed it to you. "Here. Remember what it does?"

"Of course!" You answered, excited. "It's a weapon with knives that inflict different levels of pain and can help restore your buildings!" You recited happily. Engie nodded, seeming content.

"Yes, yes, zhat's all wunderbar, but I finished jour new secondary!" Medic seemed a little giddy and handed you your new hallucinogen gun. "Just, ah, don't test it on us, ja?" You giggled slightly remembering your testing phase with Medic for the gun.

"Of course," you agreed.

"Well what are ya waitin' for, lass? Go get changed!" Demo slightly shoved you towards your door, causing you to laugh. He handed you your new uniform and shut the door after you. Excited, you went to your bathroom and quickly changed.

You stared in awe at yourself in the mirror. You just looked so cool. The holster for your hallucinogen gun that wrapped around your back made you feel like a cop. The pants felt loose yet secure around your legs and the boots fit perfectly. The shirt was your old one, so it was like a little homage to your last uniform. Not to mention the jacket. Oh man, the jacket was the best part of the whole thing. It was like your staple. You felt giddy as you looked at yourself and-

"...I just don't get how she can be so happy right now, lads. What she went through was... I can't even describe it!" You heard Demo's hushed voice finding its way to your ears. You stopped admiring yourself to listen.

"I 'ave to agree. 'Er condition was... appalling," Spy chimed in.

"Didn't I throw up at tha sight of her?" Sniper recounted his reaction.

"Yes, very distasteful." You imagine Spy looking away, repulsed.

"Oh whatever ya bloody mongrel. Tha point is, I just don't see why she's doing even remotely okay." Should I not be okay? You knew realistically that no, you weren't okay, but you didn't want to stop yourself from feeling happy.

"I'm vorried for her psyche," Medic added. For some reason, it hurt.

"I agree, but she's been through a lot. She'll be okay," Engie tried to calm everyone down.

"What if this is too much?" Heavy cut through the commotion.

"Like she shouldn't be here?" Scout asked to clarify.

"Da."

"Why would ya say dat?"

"I think he means that this hasn't been the best place for her, Scout," Engie explained.

"Dis isn't da best place for any of us. We're mercenaries!"

"But she isn't like us, son-"

"But she's da best out of all of us... No one heard I said dat."

"Scout-"

"No. She's strong and smart and she'll recover, or whatever the right words are."

It was silent. You could feel the awkwardness. You glanced at yourself in the mirror. Is that true? Do they not want me here anymore? You took in deep breaths to control your anxiety. I can't let them know I heard that. With a quick sigh, you studied yourself. The excitement slowly came back, but it was tainted. You did your best to ignore it and slowly opened your bedroom door.

"So," you started, fully opening your door with a small smile. "How do I look?"

"Magnificent, Strategist," Spy gestured towards you.