Chapter Fifty-Six

The next morning you woke up without any disturbance. Thankful for that, you spent the next twenty minutes getting ready for the day. You took a look at yourself in the mirror. You felt fine, but to no one's surprise you looked exhausted. At least one thing hasn't changed, heh... two days. I have two days until I have to prove my job in a real battle. This will make or break how I look to everyone regarding my skills.

You decided right then and there to spend most of the day devising a strategy. What happens if Engie can't fight? What if something goes wrong? What if all I do is die and respawn without being any help? What if we lose and they blame me for it? What if my plans are terrible? What if.... What if I fail? You sighed, running your hands down your face in an effort to pull the thoughts out of your mind. Of course I'll fail if I think like that.

You stretched before stepping out of your room, intending to check on Engie and have breakfast before starting your planning. You took a right past Heavy's door and then all the way down the hall, but before you made it to the doors of the Medbay, you were shocked to find Soldier still standing guard... well, sort of. He was leaning on his rocket launcher fast asleep with his head leaning on his hand. Has he seriously been out here all this time?

"Uh, Soldier?" You called him. With no response, you walked over and tapped him on the shoulder.

"AHHHHH!" Soldier screamed as he pushed you back, toppling you over and pressing the side of his launcher against the top of your chest, effectively pinning you down. You tried to move your legs, but Soldier had pinned them down as well. You looked up at him, your heartbeat racing from the surprise which was only made faster by seeing his eyes stare coldly down at you from under his helmet. Holy shit.

"Soldier, it's me! Strategist!" You tried rocking your shoulders to get him to let go of you, but it wasn't working.

"How would I know you're not a BLU?" Soldier leaned into you, using a surprisingly lowered voice that was more terrifying than you would have imagined. Okay, now I'm actually scared.

"What? How would I know! Ask me something only someone from the RED team would know, something only I'd know!" Soldier nodded coldly.

"What do I call our Strategist only we'd know?" What?

"U-uhm... my name or.. or maggot?" You saw his eyes squint.

"Wrong answer." He rolled the launcher forward onto your neck. Fuck! You tried to not gasp for air, knowing that would make it worse. Is this seriously how I respawn? Your eyes widened in realization, the answer finally hitting you. You tried to push the launcher away to speak.

"Cupcake! It's Cupcake!" You pushed out in a strangled voice.

Soldier's eyes quickly switched from malice to panic as he ripped the launcher away from your throat and tossed it aside. Immediately you started coughing as Soldier unpinned you. I'm so happy he could understand me.

As you started to get over your coughing fit, he attempted to help you up by placing a hand on your back and offering a hand. You took deep breaths in and shook your head, waving him off. You stood up on your own and started breathing easier.

"Hmph! You're strong, Cupcake." Soldier crossed his arms. You laughed slightly and picked up the launcher for him.

"You have good reflexes." Soldier nodded as a thanks after you handed him back his launcher. "Why did you assume I was a BLU?"

"I saw something suspicious last night after you left."

"What?"

"I saw you enter your room, but then I saw you dressed differently entering Engie's room coming from the kitchen! I could not confirm it was suspicious at the time of the incident, but looking back at it-"