Chapter Forty-Nine

You woke up to see Soldier staring very intently at you, almost looking on edge. You couldn't see Sniper's eyes behind his sunglasses, but his gaze pierced your skin like one of Spy's knives. Scout was looking around, his knee bouncing and his fingers twiddling. What's going on? Then, you noticed the right side of your face was leaned against fabric. Your eyes widened. Oh shit.

You nearly jumped while sitting back up as quickly as you could, the back of your head grazing the back door of the truck. So much for keeping it cool. You found Medic giving you the side-eye, his expression stern. You could usually try to discern his emotions, but this time you really couldn't. He just looked annoyed. What the fuck? Unfortunately, the question of why he would let you stay there wasn't crossing your mind at the moment.

"Iz everything alright back there?" Spy peered up into the rear view mirror, looking visibly annoyed. Heavy glanced back as well with more concern than Spy, but his focus was more on driving. You could feel the tension from this morning invade the truck. You couldn't find the words to come out of your mouth. No one spoke up right away. "Well? Do we need to stop?"

"No, ve are just fine," Medic answered for the rest of you, his arms still crossed. You felt yourself shaking a little, so you grabbed your arm. He glanced back at you, his eyes narrowing slightly. Is he mad at me? Spy nodded slightly and shifted in his seat.

You glanced around, trying to find something to focus on other than Medic's cold presence. Sniper was still leaning back, but he was rigid while his eyes were glued to Medic, watching him like a hawk through his sunglasses. Scout was still bouncing his knee, looking like an awkward kid asking to go outside while his parents were fighting. Soldier was tense, leaned over slightly as if ready to run over to you. You were uncomfortable, but knew this would have been worse with Engie or Demo.

"U-uhm, sorry about that, Medic," you got out, not looking him in the eye as your face flushed. He stared back, and yet refused to say anything. His mouth was turned down at an angle, and he looked as if he was angry with you. Damn it! Now we're right back where we started.

You tried to force yourself to relax against the side of the truck, but every big bump in the road smacked your head and made you flinch. Eventually, you tried mimicking Sniper, with his head away from the truck but his body leaned against it. It was alright. Admittedly isn't as comfortable as Medic though... Wait. What the fuck am I thinking? You cursed yourself, blushing at the embarrassment of it all. Get it together!

You relaxed as much as you could, wanting to shrink once you looked up to see Medic with a continuous stare at you. Shit! You honestly wish you had Demo with you to lean on instead, but you were afraid he'd start a fight with Medic. It had to have been a dream. Heavy pulled the truck over and to a stop.

"We are here," he stated, and opened the door. Spy was complaining to himself as he swung out of the truck, but as Heavy was getting out, he rocked the truck and caused Spy to hit his head against the top of the door frame. Spy was presumably swearing under his breath as he held the top of his head.

Sniper opened up the back of the truck and held it open for you, but after he hopped out, he let the back fall. You heard an angry grunt from inside, but thanked Sniper anyway. He peered down at you through his sunglasses and you could feel a chill scrape up your spine. The door slammed open and you turned to see Medic holding it for Soldier and Scout. You shook your head a bit to steady yourself. After all, you had a job to do.

You looked around to scan your surroundings. It was, of course, dusty. You felt the ground shift slightly under your feet as you walked. Heavy parked the truck behind a mountainous, blue building. It looked well worn, with boards covering some of the windows, though you weren't entirely sure why. On the back by a large door, a sign read "BLU Construction Company." A bit further to the left, you saw a slightly smaller door labeled "RED Scum."