Chapter Eighty-Seven

"Yes?" You called softly. The door slowly opened to reveal Engie. You inwardly groaned. You looked away. "Can I help you?"

"Darlin', I-" Engie cut himself off, sighing. "May I come in?" You thought about saying no but felt that would only make things worse.

"Yeah, I don't mind." He stepped over the threshold and closed the door behind him.

"Is, uh, this a good time?" You had the chance to say no, and you really wanted to, but you lied.

"It is. Why?" He took off his hat and scratched his head.

"Uh, well, I needed to have a talk with ya-"

"Please, I can't argue again." Your voice cracked slightly, surprising the both of you. You sighed and crossed your arms. Engie shook his head.

"No, I didn't come ta argue. I came to apologize." You raised your eyebrow.

"May I ask why?" You knew why, or you hoped you knew why, but you wanted to hear it from it.

"Well, I should first admit that I heard you and Spy talkin' in the kitchen, but I realized that you were right. I was bein'... unfair." Your eyes widened in shock. You stuttered when he cleared his throat.

"I-uh, you don't have to be-" Engie held his hand up, stopping you.

"There you go doin' that thing where ya backpedal to spare our feelin's. Stop. What I did, tried ta do, said were just plain wrong... and I'm sorry." You nodded, looking away once more, feeling awkward. Engie sighed. You took in a deep breath.

"Can I ask why the change of heart?" Engie nodded.

"Well, like I said, I heard you and Spy in the kitchen and it got me ta thinkin'. I was being controllin' and yeah, jealous. I just couldn't see it because I was being stubborn and such. It..." He sighed. "It was... It felt like a kick in the gut when ya said you were gettin' along with the doc, and then even more so when I found out about Quinn. I realized that was a fault of mah own and not yours. I've just..." He paused. "I've just never cared so deeply about someone before, and here I am, scared that I'll lose ya to someone." You allowed a small smile to adorn your face.

"Yeah, but why would I replace the smartest man I know? How would that even be possible?" You laughed when you saw him smile. He gestured his hat to your bed.

"May I?" You nodded and he sat down. "Now, I'll admit, it's real nice to hear ya say that, darlin'. I was prepared to simply give up."

"Want to know something?"

"Of course, darlin'."

"Lucky for you, I don't think I'm all that into Quinn as I originally thought. We're just staying friends." Engie was silent for a moment.

"You sure about that? From the way you were talkin' about them, you seemed pretty enthralled." You shook your head.

"I thought so, too, but I think I was forcing it to prove a point. It's not fair to them, so I told them that."

"Huh." You laughed at the little smile on his face.

"Yeah. I don't know if I'll supposedly find 'the one' anytime soon, but it was nice to explore that at least." You shrugged, smiling. Engie nodded.

"I hear ya, but if you need me to back off when ya do, just let me know, alright?" He stood up, donning his hat.

"Hey Engie?"

"Yes?"

"Is it a ceasefire or a battle again tomorrow?"

"We're showin' you a new place tomorrow, actually." You tilted your head.

"What is it called?" Engie shook his head.

"'Fraid I've decided ta keep it a secret from you." He smirked at you while you gasped. You threw a pillow at him. "What in tarnation? Hey!" He laughed, tossing it back at you. You watched him head to the door.

"Thank you." He stopped, his hand on the doorknob. "For talkin' to me, I mean." He smiled, tipping his hat to you, and left.