whatever it takes

Sadie's POV

We made our way over to their small fire and it really was just a simple fire from what I could see. It was still light outside. I didn't see anything sketchy from my view.

I explained to the two girls what happened today and why I was annoyed. They both had nothing to say once I was finished.

I realized they probably did think I was daddy's girl. I mean, I had no idea what they have gone through. At least I have a roof over my house.

"It probably is dramatic. It's just annoying. I don't wanna grow up to just cook and clean all day."

"Dramatic? Honey, if I was at your house right now I'd slap the living daylights outta your parents." Claire said.

"Agreed. You're, what? Thirteen? Fourteen?"

"Thirteen."

"Yeah. That's bullshit." Claire continued. "I'm thirteen, too. My parents are assholes. So are Nevaeh's. They want nothing to do with us."

"I'm sorry." I muttered.

"Don't be. Shit happens. It's all we've ever known." Nevaeh said.

"I guess. I just wish there was a way I could actually get back at them. Make them mad. Show them I'm more than just someone who can cook and clean."

They looked at each other. "Well, we've got ways we can help you. But how far are you willing to go?"

"How far is too far?" I asked out of curiosity.

"We've got anything. We'll do what you want. You pick. Tattoo's, piercings, hair dye, drugs, alcohol. Whatever you want."

I raised an eyebrow. "Well, I think the pink tips in your hair is cool."

"You want pink hair?" Claire asked.

"Maybe not pink. How about purple?" I asked.

"Cool. I can get it."

"I'm also down for a few piercings. Maybe a tattoo."

"I like you a lot already. Sadie, we are gonna be great friends." Nevaeh said.

I grinned. "I think we are gonna be great friends."

"Tomorrow, we'll get you everything. Purple hair, piercings, tattoos. Whatever you want. You got any money on ya?" Claire asked.

"I've got a couple quarters." I stated.

"Perfect. That's all ya need. Our friend Tyler can hook you up with all this stuff. I'm just gonna warn you, people are gonna stare and people are gonna look at you. You'll stick out like a sore thumb."

"I don't care." I said cutting her off. "We're friends, right?" I asked. They both nodded. "Then I don't care about anything else. Fuck it."

Claire grinned. "Come on. Let's head back to my house for tonight. We've got a big day ahead of us tomorrow."

A part of me told me to not head to some random girls house who I just met, but at the same time I was too intrigued.

I was ready. I had to do this to get back at mom and dad. They'd hate it. I know they would. And as long as they're miserable, I was ok. 

Whatever it takes.

We walked across the train tracks to a small house down the road. Claire opened the door and slammed it shut after we both walked in.

"Claire! Get your fucking rat out of the house!" Someone yelled as soon as the door shut. I immediately noticed the house had smelled terrible and figured whoever stayed here loved to drink.

"I didn't know Tyler was here." Nevaeh said.

"Me neither." Claire continued with an eye roll. "He's a hamster and it's my house. Fuck off, Tyler."

A guy walked out of the room and he had to have been an adult. When they were talking about a friend I figured it would be someone our age.

"Who's this?" He asked with a grin.

"This is Sadie. And don't try anything." Nevaeh drawled.

"This the girl from the drive in?" He asked.

"Yeah. Like I said, don't try nothing." She continued.

I was unsettled about how these random people knew about me. They watched me. God, what have I gotten myself into?

"Whatcha doing here?" He asked coming up in front of me. "The names Tyler."

"They took me here. Said they can help me out a bit."

"Let me guess, you wanna change? Who do you wanna piss off?"

"My parents." I said keeping it vague.

"You got shit to get tonight. Piercings, purple hair dye, whatever you do to do tattoo's." Claire started.

He looked at me. "You sure you want all this?"

"Yes." I said confidently. I tried to make sure there was no hesitation.

He asked me a few more questions about everything and he seemed shocked I'd wanna do this. I mean, I get it. I know people talk and I understand this is an absolutely terrible idea.

But nothing else mattered than making mom and dad angry.

If I got that, nothing else would matter to me. Not what people say, not what people think, absolutely nothing.

Claire showed me her spare bedroom, which I'm pretty sure was her parents bedroom, but they didn't come home.

Tyler went out for the night and Nevaeh and Claire had their own rooms.

It was a hard nights sleep. I didn't like not sleeping in my own bed. It wasn't right. I had wished my parents were worried about me, but I knew they were just worried nobody was gonna do all the shit they needed done.

Maybe my brothers cared.

I laughed at how bizarre that would be.

It seems like nobody in this world cares about me. I know people like Claire and Nevaeh. They don't really care about me. They just have a deep hatred for people like my parents and wanna seen them miserable.

I would bet anything they're either drunk or somewhat high ninety percent of the time.

I managed to convince myself this was a good idea. At least for the time being. I appreciated what they were doing. I really did.

Maybe if I said it enough I'd eventually believe it.

But there's no going back now.