quick changes

Sadie's POV

I woke up the next morning after the sun had already risen and sighed as I knew I had to give Dallas an answer today.

I think I knew what I was gonna say.

I asked Pony and Soda about it and they said pretty much the same thing Darry said, just less detailed.

I never really thought Darry cared for me. But after last night, I think differently of him. Like he might care about me more than I think.

The day went by slower then ever as I waited for the guys to meet at our house before we head out to eat at six.

The door flew open and Steve just barged in. "Hey, y'all!"

"Hi, Stevie." Sodapop said. He rolled his eyes while Soda laughed.

I grinned.

"Hey, doll." Dallas said, coming from around the corner and behind me.

"Hi, Dallas." I said with a slight smile.

"So... do I got an answer yet?" He asked.

I looked out into the living room. "Maybe I should tell ya out back." I said with a small smile.

He took a drag on his cigarette. "Jesus..." He muttered. We walked out and he closed the door behind him. "Alright. Get it over with." He said, acting like he didn't care.

"I'd love to go out with you... on a real date." I said with a small smile.

"Really?" He asked, taking the cigarette out of his mouth.

"Yeah. Whaddya think I was gonna say?"

"No..." He said, more of a question.

I laughed. "Why'd ya think that?"

"Why couldn't you tell me inside?"

"I dunno. I didn't know if I wanted other people to hear." He raised an eyebrow. "Not in a bad way, though."

He grinned. "Alright. You got me. Tomorrow night at 7?" He asked.

"I'll be waiting."

-

Time to skip over all this part. Dallas and I went to the drive in, started dating for real, I go to college, and I really enjoy myself and I'm truly happy.

There's no use explaining all the details of Dallas' and I's relationship. Lots of details that are unnecessary for the outside world to here, if ya know what I mean...

I went to competitions all over North America. May not have won all of them, but I did great and I'm proud of myself. Cassidy even travelled to some of them with me.

I've even been in a few commercials!

How awesome is that?

I've truly never been happier than I am now. Studying in college, in a happy relationship with a guy I never thought I'd have anything in common with, ice skating and living my best life.

Eventually I'll settle down. Not now, but eventually.

Or so I thought.

"Ready to go?" Dallas asked from the kitchen.

"Almost." I called back.

He groaned.

I finished putting my hair up and I walked out. "Alright. Ready." I said with a grin.

"Finally." He said, lighting a cigarette. I rolled my eyes playfully.

"See ya, Sadie." Ponyboy said as I walked out the door. I gave him a small wave back.

"Alright. Where are we heading to today?" I asked.

"Figured we could try that new restaurant opening up. What's it called?"

"The American Grill?"

"Yeah, something like that."

"I mean, sure. It's on the other side of town, ya know."

"Yeah. You cool with that?"

"Yep. Fine with me."

We continued our walk to the other side of town and it felt like forever walking over there. But we eventually made it.

We ate dinner and paid and left. Just an average, fun night for the both of us.

We took the long way home and walked the back roads. I took my hair out of my ponytail and shook my hair back.

"Look, I don't know how I'm supposed to say this, but I can't keep putting this off." He mumbled to me.

"Huh?" I asked. He sighed. "Dallas, what did you do?" I asked, angrily. "Are you hiding from cops or something? Did you murder someone?" I yelled.

"Jesus Christ, I was gonna ask you to marry me."

My eyes widened. "Huh?"

He pulls a ring out of his pockets and tossed it up at me and kept walking with a cigarette in his mouth.

I stared at it in shock before I realized this really just happened. "Wait, hold up." I said, running to catch up with him. "Are you serious?"

"Yeah."

"And you kept this a secret for how long?"

"A few weeks. Maybe a month or two." He said casually.

"You're kidding."

"Doll, I already clarified I wasn't." He said stopping and grinning at me.

I laughed. "Well, in that case, yes. I'd love to marry you." I said with a grin.

He hugged me and I couldn't contain my smile anymore.

Not what I expected my proposal to be like. But I know Dallas isn't the touchy feely person. It was better than I could ever imagine.

"I told your brothers I was doing this a month ago. They'll be glad I finally got the guts to do it."

"Wait, Sodapop knew and he didn't spill?"

"I know. I'm just as surprised as you." We both laughed and started our way back home.

As I said before, I was very wrong. My life changed pretty quickly. But it wasn't bad. Actually, it was quite the opposite.

Who woulda thought I'd be living my best life back in none other than my hometown.

But this time I promise... no more quick changes for me.

I'm an ice skater.

I have my family again.

I'm ENGAGED!

I couldn't ask for anything more.

The end :)