i got this

Sadie's POV

Cassidy loaded as much stuff as she could into her car and I put my small box of stuff in the floor of the passenger seat.

She sighed. She gripped the wheel before turning the car on and buried her head into it. I felt awful. This is all my fault.

It seems that no matter what I do, I always mess it up.

"Cassidy, I'm sorry. If you want, I'll leave. Really, I don't mind. I'll go back home."

She wiped her tears. "No, look, I want to do this. I really do. Please let me. I just need you to put some faith in me. I've seen this my entire life. Give this a month. And I know it seems like a long time, but with a lot of practice and hard work, I'll get us somewhere. I will."

"I do have faith in you. I mean, you were the first person to ever have faith in me." I mumbled, hoping it would cheer her up.

"Thanks, Sadie. I promise I'll get us somewhere. For now, I'll drive us over to my friends house. See if she can help us out."

I sighed and hoped for the best I wasn't sure if I actually trusted her or I was just saying I did. But all I know is that she couldn't put me in a worse situation than I was before I met her.

*One Month Later*

Cassidy and I walked through the door over her friend Lauren's house. We've been staying here about a week. At first we stayed at her friend Penny's house for a couple days. Then we spent about two and a half weeks in her car. This is our fifth day here.

Oh, joy.

It got harder and harder to stay optimistic.

I sat down on the couch after a long day of skating. I was sore as all get out.

"Sadie! Come look!" Cassidy yelled. To be honest, it startled me.

I jolted up and ran over to the kitchen counter. "What is it?" I asked.

"Two months! Two months and you get to be in your first competition!" She yelled.

"What?" I yelled back.

"I know! Penny just came and dropped it off! We did it!"

I laughed and I felt my nerves take over. "How is that even possible? I just started skating!" I said, still in shock.

"It's a beginners competition. It's for people who are just starting off. Isn't this awesome?"

I managed to laugh through all the shock. "This is awesome!"

It really was, but wow. It was sudden. Two months? That seems awfully quick. But I guess I didn't know much.

This is gonna be some of the hardest months of my life. And with so much uncertainty in my life, I knew I could say that for certainty.

*Two Months Later*

Alright, Sadie. You got this.

I repeated that last phrase to myself at least a dozen times before I went out. My heart was pounding. The only thing that stood between and and a win was three people.

Three, mean-looking, nerve-wracking, judges.

That's it.

In total there was 30 girls participating. That's only 29 people I need to beat to win first. But we're all in the same boat. First place wouldn't be something I'm aiming for.

Obviously, I'll try my best. But as long as I make top ten, I'd consider this a success.

But don't let me hope too high.

Don't get cocky, Sadie.

I went to the edge of the rink and waited my turn. I was the sixteenth girl lined up to go.

Then it happened. My name was announced through the whole arena.

I got out into the arena and I felt my nerves die down. The lights were so bright I couldn't even see anybody.

I paused and waited for the music to start.

I got this.

Two minutes and seven seconds later it was done. I truly think I did well. I really did.

I got off and sighed. "You did great! I'm impressed!" Cassidy said as I took my skates off.

"Thanks." I muttered.

"You look... defeated. You ok?"

"Yeah. I'm good. It's just weird to think all that work and preparation for a very stressful two minutes. I dunno. Maybe it's just me."

"I understand. But hey, you did great, we get the results tomorrow, and we can expect to be back here and 12:00 PM sharp. Let's bounce." She said.

I grinned. "Great. Now I get to wait twenty four hours to wait... and wait... and wait..." I said drawling on.

We both laughed. "Come on. Let's head back to Lauren's."

Let me tell you... waiting to head back was the longest twenty-four hours of my life.

I could barely sleep that night and I was eager to get back up and going.

Cassidy was impressed with my optimism. Probably because it was the first time she ever saw it.

I did my hair and makeup before finishing getting ready and driving over to the arena. There was an announcement to the cameras, since this was being broadcasted and my nerves flowed back in again.

"Alright, ladies. We just wanna give a big congratulations to everyone for participating and we were very impressed with all of you overall. One more thing, if your name is not called, it means you did not make the top ten and your place will be listen in the main hall outside these doors." The first judge said.

"Alright. Let us get started. Starting with our number ten's spot, we've got Daisy Worthing, in ninth place we have Rebecca Rhodes, eight place is Lola Bridges, seventh place is Phoebe Willows and in sixth place we have Zoe McCarthy. Congratulations to you give!" The second judge said.

I felt my heart sink. I looked at Cassidy from off stage and she gave me a sad look. I really thought I'd make top ten. And I knew there was a slim to no chance I'd even get close to top five. Don't get me wrong, it would be great! But highly unlikely compared to everyone else's chances.

"Next we have our top five. In fifth place... McKenna O'Nally! Congratulations McKenna!"

They gave her flowers and she stepped forwards next to the stand where the top three would stand.

"In fourth place is Kendra Soller! Congratulations Kendra!"

She stood on the other side of the podium.

I just wanted to leave. My spirits were busted.

"Now, for the moment you have all been waiting for. Our top three... in third place... Madison Cushka!"

She squealed and went to the third place spot. Clapping came from all around, including me who tried to be supportive.

I gave it to myself for that one.

"In second place we have... Sadie Curtis!"

My heart must have stopped for a good ten seconds.

I'm Sadie Curtis!