15 | hit and catch

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"seoyoon-ssi, sunoo wants to see you in the hallway."

the girl in high ponytail sitting at the top of the teacher's table looks back at dayeon's figure approaching her casually, she then switch her posture to face the other and hops off. dayeon was told by sunoo to call his friend to meet him on their rendezvous. seoyoon submissively followed her request and jogs her way onto the hallway.

"right on time." sunoo comments at her quick response when he sees seoyoon coming out of their class, "by the way, since all of our decorations are perfectly prepared early, the school had dropped the main activities for our event." he hands seoyoon a stapled paper for additional information.

she takes a brief glance over the printed paper with tables and returns her gaze to him, reiterating the details embedded on the paper, "we have a literary musical contest and each year level has to provide at least one representative for each category. they've also included creative writing and literature writing."

"everyone is starting to fill up forms on the auditorium since yesterday and we might have some problems about it." sunoo begins to inform her about the activity in front of the auditorium he saw when he passed by and pried on the papers filled by random students accumulating the space.

"which is?"

"our class don't have much representatives in literature category than the musical. tomorrow's the deadline for registration."

"what are we going to do about it?" she knew that there's something wrong.

"we have to encourage them to join the literature category and if we don't, then some of us should join specifically or else our class will be disqualified to all categories. there are prizes provided after the contest — it's still a mystery." sunoo unsurely shrugs at his last statement.

"what are the categories under the literature?"

"scientific literature writing, some other language writings, book writing and even poetry making." he states, "we have 6 entries on others except the last one."

seoyoon tries to think together while talking, "did you join any of the categories?"

"yeah. i went for the japanese literature writing. riki can also help me with this." he nods and bites his lower lip, glancing up, "how about you? do you have any thoughts in joining?"

the situation of having representative shortage for contests made seoyoon feel quite stressed. as still holding the title of shrinking violet, it slightly makes her uncomfortable at the thought of unsurely joining at the remaining slot to fill up their entries just to make their entire class join. she is contemplating about what should possibly can happen within the few days without sufficient entries. sunoo was also thinking whether seoyoon will refuse to join or maybe she can save the opportunity in just one response.

wait, should i? or should i not?

"our class' potential of winning is in your hands." sunoo attempts to convince seoyoon in a likeable statement, "you can tell me until tonight whether you want to join or not."

although seoyoon is undergoing decision-making between her mind, she manages to look up to sunoo and watch him waiting for her response. sunoo wasn't doing anything actually, but she feels like he's flaunting his charm to allure her.

to be honest, sunoo is doing it as an afterthought.

"i know what you are doing, kim sunoo." seoyoon gives him an apathetic expression before rolling her eyes, "don't even try."

she expects to whine after that and yes, he did, "don't even try either." sunoo talks back nonchalantly, "but i know you'll eventually say yes with that."

"okay, okay — i'm joining."

"that's more like it."

seoyoon eagerly comes home just when the dismissal happened. she parted ways with sunoo from the brewed honey after having a quick snack there. she enters their lounge room with empty presence, guessing that heeseung was not home yet, or maybe with his close buddy, choi beomgyu — went out for bowling just like what she heard by the downstairs last two days ago.

her brother's zero presence made it as an advantage for seoyoon to rush on her bedroom, changing herself in a flash and disappeared from their home in a snap. the woman instantly decided to go out for a long walk on the park where multiple encounters occured in just a few months. although she wanted to scratch those thoughts had turned to memories easily, she couldn't. there's still no reason why.

what could it be?

there was no chance that her mind was empty when she enters the maze-like view of the garden park. crystal clear fountain was seen from the distance, mahogany benches placed near on some of the steel lampposts, and on the corner, seven gazebos perfectly aligned in a slight concave facing her, heavily surrounded by plenty of trees far behind the gazebos. even it was just a mere view, the scenery pulled a string in her heart;

fountain

benches

gazebos

jungwon.

his name just popped out of her mind nowhere.

"not again."

finally, he was the reason why it all became i-don't-know-what-to-feel-exactly for her — and since the last time he saw her, it didn't end well as it was supposed to be.

she saunters around the pavement while her mind continuously spinning around on her internal problems. it goes all at once, like cars crashing on one-way road. there is lesser peace at this time, and even with that, she encourages herself to walk longer to sort it out further until,

her eyes caught something by the gazebo, forcing herself to stop near the bushes, tilting towards the gazebo. there were only few people lingering on each spots, but what her sight sees is a figure sitting on a chair, with its head facing downwards on the ground and arms crossed while a typewriter placed in front of it. she knew that it was a guy perhaps, by looking in its stature and the way it poses. she finds it cute. seoyoon did not notice what had changed in her expression, there was no palpitating moments, neither a nerve-wracking feeling;

rather, her lips formed a smile.

a smile that she never noticed.

"sleepy cat head." she mumbles.

but then, her vision shifts onto the corner as she eyes the flying object, its direction approaching the sleeping boy's position. seoyoon glances back and forth between them; and when she realizes that the flying object was actually a frisbee — with a speed that could absolutely hit him in a split-second, she jumps over the bushes, and runs directly to him.

she dashes on the green field as she was attempting to catch the flying frisbee. seoyoon was already panting as she makes her way onto the gazebo. however, upon reaching it, her breathing slows down when she ascertains that the person who is napping peacefully on the chair is jungwon in fact; she continues to run like she's saving someone from doom.

"i can reach it — i-i can still — " she's panting hoarsely as she talks to herself, facing the incoming frisbee in just few meters away. seoyoon extends her arms widely to welcome the object freely in her reach.

she welcomes it successfully, with a thud followed after. eventually, the dozing person was already on his feet when he hears the unpleasant sound. he looks down and let his mouth agape at the sight in front of him.

"oh my god — seoyoon!"