Rocky Roads

I couldn't put an exact time on it, but I knew we'd been walking for most today of the day. The time hadn't been too bad, the sun was slightly warm so we weren't cold and Codrin would occasionally sing a song or hymn to keep us entertained. It was nice although once he got to about the 50th song I was getting sick of his voice.

"It's getting late" Wulf stated "we should rest" he slowed down hoping we would all join him, which we did, all except Layla "we can't stop it's not safe" she growled, her shoulders were tense and her strides didn't stop.
"Layla we've been walking all day, we need to rest" Wulf argued. Layla finally stopped and turned around, her brow was tensed and her eyes fixated on Wulf, staring at him as if she was about to fight
"If we stop in an area we don't know is safe, then the creatures will come. And we won't have any defenders. We need to find shelter first" Layla spoke, slowly turning into a shout
"If the monsters come when we find a camp we'll be too tired to fight them anyway!" Wulf howled
"We can't just stop!" Layla cried back
"And we can't die of exhaustion!" Wulf and Layla had slowly been getting closer and closer so they were face to face, inches away from each other, both obviously seething.

"How about we do a vote" Codin suggested, both Wulf and Layla practically barked at Codrin "Shut up!" To which Codrin slowly walked back to me, maybe slightly behind.

"Noah you're with me right?" Layla asked, o n the one hand she was right, we weren't safe. But at the same time I was shattered, I knew my legs couldn't carry me much further "uhh" I muttered out, my right hand moved to the back of my neck and began scratching it "I'm pretty tired... and maybe a couple hours wouldn't hurt" I said, nothing louder than a whisper.
Layla let out a loud grunt of dissatisfaction and walked away, into a deeper part of the forest.
"Layla wait!" I shouted and began walking in her direction but I got stopped by Wulf grabbing my shoulder
"Let her go... she'll be back soon"
"But the monsters and it's night soon, she won't be safe!" I yelled
"Exactly it's the night. She'll be stronger than in the day, if she's in serious danger we'll know, trust me" Wulf smiled trying to make me feel better, I did feel more content but I was still worried.
"Finally. Rest" Codrin cheered and sat down on a log.

Wulf spent the next 30 minutes or so grabbing wood and collecting leaves and setting up a small camp.
Once again Wulf set up a campfire and we all sat around it, discussing stories and past.
"So what's your history with Layla? If I can ask" I lead on, looking towards Wulf, his face turned a light shake of red
"We- we don't really have history... we both found each other early on, because our parents new each other, they were going to harvest our essence at the same time. Her-her brother found out about their father and ran way with me, Layla and my sister. We got away for a while and I tried so hard to impress Layla but I think I messed up, my sister began to hate me and I pretty much got her brother killed, she- she's never looked at me the same despite the fact she claims to not blame me at all" he sighed, he stared at the fire the whole time. Not once looking at either of us.
"I don't blame you for what happened to him. Because it was my fault" Layla said from behind Wulf. "I decided to get to close, to the enemy. I was foolish and my brother took the fall" she mumbled. Wulf quickly got up to hug her, wrapping his arms around her shoulders. "Don't say that. You know it's not true" Wulf whispered into her hair, Layla wrapped her arms around Wulf as well and silently sobbed. She hid her face into Wulf's shoulder, I knew it's because she didn't want us to see her cry.
I took it as a stopping point for the night and stood up with a clap. "Well, I think we should hit the hay what do you think?" I said turning to Codrin
"Yeah great idea Noah. Goodnight guys" he replied, I headed to my small abode.
I laid in the bed, staring at the ceiling, the amount of leaves loosely tied together with small vines, I knew if it rained I'd still become soaked. The walls were thin though so I could tell when everyone else went into there cabin. I could hear the quiet conversation outside and knew it was Wulf and Layla.
"Are you going to be ok?" A deep voice asked
"Yeah I'll be fine, we just need to keep him safe" another responded, knew it was Layla
"I know. But we have no idea what he's capable off. We need to be careful"
"I agree... goodnight Wulfy" Layla farewelled
"Yeah. Goodnight"
I closed my eyes thinking about the burden I felt I was becoming, the weight on my shoulders was becoming overwhelming but I knew I had to stay strong, for everyone.

For the first time in a coupe of days I woke up peacefully, no nightmare. No vision. Just darkness until the morning sun.
We all shared a quick breakfast, a makeshift meal full of dried fruit and dead bugs. It was gross but it was the only thing we had.
But eventually we continued our walk, the density of the forest thinned and the sky became visible past the vast leaves and tree tops. Wulf was in front, using his godly power to detect the safest way forward, Codrin stayed with him to keep Wulf company. Meanwhile I walked with Layla, I felt a weird presence form behind me, it lingered, a strange sensation staying on my neck keeping it cold.
I reached for my back, fingers touching the part of my neck that felt almost out of place.
"You feel it too huh?" Layla asked, I looked at her curiously "what?" I asked.
"That feeling, like we're being watched. I've felt it since we left our original camp" Layla answered
Then It clicked in me "that's why you didn't want to stop" I whispered
"Mhmm" she hummed "but I don't think it's deadly, it feels dark but I don't think it wants to harm us if that makes sense... whatever it is"
"Maybe it's a God?" I offered, Layla quickly shook her head "we'd know if it was a God. The power would be a lot" I nodded my head, understanding what she meant.
Of course Gods would have a special presence.

Wulf walked through a dense bush and we followed him, once we burst though the other side there was Great Plain, it was riddled with large chunks of grass, high enough to reach our knees, and there was a couple trees sprinkling along the edge of the land which stretched to a body of water.
"This is beautiful" Codrin observed. We all stood shoulder to shoulder
"I agree" Layla added
Wulf took a deep breath and smelt the air "there's enough sense to mask our smell" he told us
"This is perfect" I smiled
Wulf gave one last look to Layla who nodded in response "welcome to camp...Mergence" he cheered throwing up the blue cube and suddenly a large glow struck the sky again this time however when I opened my eyes the camp stood firm. Exactly as it was in the woods, but this time surrounded by large masses of land and a beautiful sun beaming down towards us.