Chapter Thirteen

Gabby knew what she and Tan shared the other night was just sex. The no strings attached kind of sex. She knew with firsthand experience about what it meant to expect more from Tan Lee. The last time she believed in forever with Tan she was left with nothing but a broken heart. Tan was always going to choose duty to his family every time and not that she blamed him; it was just that she wasn't going to let herself be to delusional. She couldn't help replaying everything that morning after Tan left her side. That morning she realized that if she let herself indulge in the moment with Tan and kept herself inside the bubble. The outcome would be just like last time. Then she got the call about her mother and if anything it was the shock she needed to wake up. She only had herself no other person had her back.

She returned to New York not few days after she believed she'd grieved enough for her mother. It was one of those times she never wanted to revisit again. Even though her mother was at the point where death was a mercy it was still a stun. One never really prepares for this kind of thing. Laila and Andrew had come to pay their respect, there wasn't much anyone could do and the mere thought pleased her but she felt like it wasn't enough. It was like nothing could replace that void in her heart. It helped that she could see a friendly face. It annoyed her but she'd admit to only herself that there was one face she craved to see, Tan's.

He didn't call after he left for New York and she didn't want to call him. She berated her stupid heart for wanting him even after he all but threw her away. Even though what happened between them that night was consensual the next morning she had wished it never happened; only then she wouldn't be filled with regrets not with the action itself , but the equal and opposite reaction it caused. Gabby convinced herself after days of not hearing from Tan that was all she needed, if Tan could not recognize her worth. Then he wasn't worth breaking a sweat over.

Gabby stared at the screen of her laptop as she scanned through the report of the deal with LEE. Laila had sent the contract to her mail and she was to go through it.
"Shit." frustrated, she pushed her coffee cup off her table unto the floor. She grasped the fault in her action when she saw the coffee seeping into her expensive plush whit rug. She was working from home, because she needed time to rest. The housekeeper who was cleaning her study at the time stared at the mess in shock and Gabby smiled back at her guiltily. She'd just really been occupied for some time. God did she miss her mother. She felt empty these days. She wondered how long before she could function fine in society.
She scrubbed a hand down her face, and then wrapped it around the back of her neck, massaging her tense muscles. There'd been a time when all the thought about was work and the next contract she could bag. Now she couldn't even recognize her own self again, her head was now occupied with thoughts of her mother and how much time she lost with her and how she was losing the same time with Tan.
Tan.

His name threw an onslaught of memories she had thought she placed a tight lid on. Images from that night rushed through her head, an endless slide of erotic snapshots. Her hips buckling to meet his devouring mouth as she spread her thighs for him. The way she twisted, undulated between his warm body as she pleaded with him to take over.
How she curled up against his side, her head resting on his shoulder, his soft even breath caressing her wet skin.

The memory of how she cuddled into his body and slept trustingly squeezed her heart. She had fallen deeply again. And that unnerved her.
One unforgettable night. Without any strings attached. That had been what they both wanted. She was Gabrielle Lot an absolute nobody to his family. How had she let her guard down that night and confessed she wanted to kiss him badly. She had put down the walls to her heart and if he had entrance to it again. She would have no one to blame but herself. What was it about Tan that made her so vulnerable? That had her putting down her walls she had fought to build after the last break up.
She couldn't do that to herself again. She couldn't afford to let her guard down and let everything she had crumble down.

Almost everyone she'd loved left her. Her mother had just died recently, she just started mending her relationship with her father and with Tan he had left before, this was bound to be a repeat of the past.
If he hadn't told her she might regret this after there might be a glimmer of hope for them both, but she already knew it. Tan's loyalty was to his father and mother.

Her door to her home office opened.
"Gabby, I've been calling you," Laila announced at the entrance to the door. She jolted sharply bemused. She'd been so deep in thought she hadn't heard her phone ring.
"Where were you just now?"
She shook her head, slicing a hand through the air to wave away her question. "Just going over the contract you sent to me for LEE. What are you doing here?"
Laila tilted her head, studying her through narrowed gaze. She didn't outright accuse her of lying, but the speculation in her eyes did. "Nice try. But deflection won't save you. Are you sure you weren't thinking of Tan, what went down with you both in Boston? I never got the chance to ask and you never told me"
"Because there is nothing to tell Laila."
She shook her head in disbelieve as if she knew Gabby was lying.
"Well that's your problem."
"My problem? I didn't realize I had one." Gabby said innocently, widening her eyes for extra effect.
"Oh Gabby, you have many." she drawled, dropping into the cushion in to the cushion in the office. Leaning forward, her eye brows drew together in a frown. "I just want you to know what you are getting into, just make everything is strictly business with those people, I don't want to see you get hurt."
"I know."
"You might not be from a family of wealth but you made one for yourself and you deserve happiness."
"I know that too Laila."
"I just want you to protect yourself at all times. I know that sneaky Tan has a way of getting your defenses to crumble."
"Thanks for having so much confidence in me." Gabby deadpanned.

"I'm sorry. I'm just really concerned."
"I know and trust me, no one agrees with you more than me." Gabby stared out the window. "Thanks Laila" she cleared her throat. "But honestly I was going through the contract and the proposals"
Laila nodded. "At the last meeting we held, I suggested that we all review the contract and the proposals on Monday."
"Sounds good."
It was Monday, she knew she couldn't avoid Tan forever, they were business partners and for the sake of GALA and her sanity. She had to leave it that way. She didn't want to conflict work with pleasure.

The representatives from LEE, came into the conference room as soon as she realized it was just Leo and Lana, her face crumbled.
Liar.
she wanted to see Tan.