Final Chapter

Gabby stared at the numbers on the elevator as they contend, tapping her foot impatiently. It took forever until the elevator finally gave a ting and let her out. She felt so anxious and needed to keep her mind off anything that concerned the Lees; including Tan. She got a call from Laila earlier about the Lees contract though so she didn't have much of a choice but to think about it. It wouldn't come as a surprise though, if they wanted to call off the deal after what happened. She expected it and if she was being honest, she couldn't care less. It was a great deal and she would gain a lot by it but LEE wasn't the only company there was. She would take her business elsewhere. Even as she tries not to think of him, she hoped she wouldn't have to meet him today. It's been days and she had no idea how she would react. No she wasn't prepared at all. But who's to say? It wasn't like Tan needed to to be here by himself. She'd gone days without seeing him, hearing his voice, breathing in his presence. She hoped with time, everything would return to normal and she would stop fantasizing about him at night, realizing that when she wakes up, he wasn't going to be there. She didn't regret anything she did or said that day because it needed to be said, but that didn't mean her body and mind didn't ache for him. She soon got to the conference room, knocked on the closed door and opened it. Gabby entered the large room but halted her in advancement. Surprise, confusion, annoyance and love crashed into her with the force of a moving vehicle at high speed. In the room, Laila was sitting behind the conference table and Leo across from her; standing beside Leo was Tan.

Just merely looking at him felt like her heart was being ripped out but for the life of her she couldn't take her eye off him.

"Gabby we were expecting you sooner, what took you so long? "Laila asked.

She snapped her head back to her partner. There was nothing subtle about the action and from the corner of her eye, she could see Tan smile. She scratched her neck as she walked further into the room and sat beside Laila, ever conscious of Tan's gaze fixed on her. "I am sorry to have kept you waiting the traffic today was a disaster. This wouldn't be long I'm sure, considering LEE's feelings about the contract."

"Hello Gabby."

Lord help her that voice. The things she'd heard it say. She barely held on to her facade of calm as she looked to him with an Oscar winning performance of utmost calm and nodded."

"Mr. Lee."

His dark piercing eye met hers and just like that images of their history flashed in her head. She turned away again, barely keeping her emotions in check. Forget about Tan she said to herself, a mantra she seemed to be repeating to herself since she walked away from their relationship. It had not started taking effect yet though. She just needed to get this meeting over with and turn away from him a final time. She could do it.

"Please take your seat." Laila motioned to a still standing Tan by waving to an empty chair. Tan obeyed, sinking into the seat.

"I know you came here thinking the deal with LEE would be called off, but that's not going to happen. The deal would still go on as planned is just that changes have been made to the contract and we couldn't proceed without your knowledge." Laila addressed Gabby.

"How surprising." Gabby's tone carried more hostility than her smile showed. "I was under the impression that LEE have made the decision to call the deal off?" Gabby said as she leaned back with arms folded glaring at Tan.

"The thing is that, the company had a shareholders meeting and the person responsible for making decisions concerning LEE would be Tan Lee not his father," Leo stated, "you are under no obligation to accept this with everything that has happened, we just thought you would like to know."

She held her glare in place although she was beginning to feel hot in her neck from embarrassment. Tan was looking at her too, just not with murderous intent. Her stubbornness refused to allow her look away though.

"Tan and Leo informed me this morning and suggested we have a meeting since you weren't answering any of their calls. Tan also told me you might not be interested in continuing the partnership. I decided the meeting was necessary, so that we can clear the air." Gabby's glare had by that time, metamorphosed into a confused expression. What were they playing at? And since when did Tan call the shots at LEE?

"Laila, Leo," Tan finally spoke. "could we have the room?"

Both of them stood, and in moments, only Gabby and Tan remained. Before now, the conference room had felt large but with just the two of them it felt smaller, his presence took up the whole space. They both stood up. Suddenly,she felt exposed, bared to him. God did she hate the way she was reacting. She loathes the effect he still had on her.

"What happened? "she asked, her voice stronger than the uproar of emotions inside her. "why hasn't the deal been called off? What is your company playing at Tan?"

"What is my company playing at?" He asked shoving his hands and cocking his head to the side. "Nothing" a careless shrug , "The only thing we want is what is good for our company which is GALA.

Gabby. I understand that you would still reject our offer because of whatever happened at your house. I want you to know that you shouldn't make bad decisions for the company you worked so hard for because of personal reasons. I want you to know that whatever you choose to do, I still want to protect you and shield you from whatever force that is against your success and that includes my parents." She struggled to keep her tears at bay. She wouldn't cry for any one who refused to see how much she worth in their life; even if that person was Tan.

"Tan I don't care to know what happened with you parents, i just know that we are over and I don't need your protection or you to fight for me. I am quite capable of taking care of myself and I can fight my own battles." She watched him as he took in a deep breath and a pain flashed across his face.

"You want to scourge at me with your words? Fine. I can take it. You have the right to, after everything that happened, your anger towards me is justified. I was a fool to let my parent speak to you in the way and manner they did. I was a fool to let you go a week ago. I was a fool to let you go those four years ago." He pulled out his hands from his pocket and nervously patted down his hair. "I can't live without you again Gabby. Life without you is hell. You were right, I allowed my parent to control and manipulate me. I wanted them to see me as their son and not some business deal which made me neglect you who saw me for who I was and not some billionaire son. You saw me for me and O realize now that treating you that way was the worst decision I have made in my entire existence." He took a step towards her, trying to figure out a composure to continue his conversation.

The shuttered gaze was gone, the CEO persona had also left. Leaving Tan there vulnerable and she could see love written all over his Face. He brought down his walls. For her. Only for Gabrielle Lot.

"Gabby, I know you are scared of giving your heart to me again. I know you think I won't protect it and cherish it like you want me to. I promise you that—" he moved forward, taking her hands into his own in supplication. "That I will do more than just protecting your heart so just trust me, I know I have extinguished all the right to ask you to do that but I am pleading with you to believe in our love, one last time and I would cherish it with my life. I love you Gabby and without you, I don't know if my life would have meaning because you bring that to my life." He paused then continued "if asked to choose between you and anything, Gabby just know I would choose you. I chose you Gabby." His voice roughened as he reached to her face. His fingers grazing the hollow of her throat. Her eyelids fluttered close from touching him again after not touching him for weeks, she kissed him. Then he cupped his hands over her cheek.

"I trust you with my heart Tan," she finally spoke, "it has always been yours and no one can take your place in my heart."

"My heart beats for you. You are my first and only priority Gabby and I don't want to spend another day, not a single moment, without you." he whispered. His lips grazed hers and then the tears she had let slip.

"I love you. I love you. I love you." she chanted.

"Forever?"

"Even after forever."

Authors Note
Thank you all for reading broken hearts. Don't forget to vote and comment.
Phiya-
Please show some love by purchasing our NFT

https://writersdorm.com/2022/08/11/broken-hearts/