Chapter Sixteen

Gabby and Tan were going out to dinner tonight.

Tan stood at the entrance to her apartment looking dapper as always. He needs this night to forget all the drama with his family.

"We should go." She needlessly announced running her palms to smoothen the invisible crease on her dress. She didn't know why she suddenly felt nervous around him. She'd known him almost all her adult life. She raised her gaze to meet Tan's. He looked as handsome as ever. There was however a hint of trouble in his eyes. Maybe that's why she felt so nervous or maybe she was reading into things that were not there. She let her eyes dip down to his chest accentuated by a pale blue shirt. The two buttons on the top were undone and sleeves were rolled up to his elbows.

"You look gorgeous." He said his voiced rough and husky.  His eyes met hers and held the hot gaze she imagined hers held as well. She watched him as his eyes travelled over her, taking her in. her choice of outfit was a black satin dress with a plunging neckline that stopped at mid-calf and black strappy heeled sandals. His gaze returned so slowly back to her face.

"You like what you see?" she teased, smiling coyly. His hands came around her waist and pulled her to himself. She shivered from the heat she saw in his eyes. He lowered his head till she could feel his breath fanning on the side of her face.

"Yes Gabrielle," he murmured.  "I do in fact love what I see."

It was all she could do to not whimper at his words, she'd never been so glad that he held her. She was afraid her legs weren't going to carry her, not when all she felt was sweet pleasure and pain between them. Her body was already so attuned to Tan's machinations. When it came to him she had little control and she was willing to giveaway whatever little was left.

"You know we really shouldn't be doing this." Gabby muttered under her breath as she slipped into the chair Tan pulled out for her.

The rooftop restaurant had a breathtaking view of the Hudson. Gabby wasn't surprised, it was just like Tan to go all out. A delicate glass vase filled with water and floating lotus shaped candles casted a warm glow on the tabletop. They were the only ones up there since Tan was probably a VIP customer at the restaurant. Gabby was grateful for being shielded from prying eyes. One night out with Tan could mean her face being splashed over tabloids and not in a positive light either. The employees scurried around trying to please Tan. He commanded an aura that drew attention to him wherever he went. Their waiter brought a bottle of wine to their table and uncorked it. Tan asked him to leave it when he was about to pour it into their glasses. He took their orders and left them.

"Uncomfortable?" Tan asked as his lips gave a small tip upwards at one corner. He picked up the wine bottle and served them both.

"Why would I be?" she responded reaching for her own glass. She only hoped that it would provide her with an adequate shield. "We've had sex what, twice now? I couldn't possibly be uncomfortable around you."

"Then what's the problem?"  He inquired with an arched brow.

Gabby placed the glass back on the table and leaned back crossing her arms across her chest. "If you don't see a problem with us going out on a date like this then, I really don't know what to tell you Tan."

"Gabby, this is hardly a date. I just want us to be on good terms even if our affair has to end."  Gabby felt a pinch at his words. To think that even though their relationship didn't have a tag, Tan still cared for her and thought of her as more than just a quick unattached affair.  How deluded she had been to think that she didn't need confirmation; that this time he was here to stay.

"Well you didn't have to ruin the mood." Gabby replied with a sigh, suddenly exhausted with the emotional rollercoaster Tan seemed to always put her on. Cocking his head to the side, he sensed that he might have just pushed the wrong buttons. He never wanted to upset her. This was not how the night was supposed to go. He wanted them to enjoy each other's company and just forget about his family and their pathetic threats.