Chapter Nineteen

Tan stared down into the glass of whiskey he had in his hand. No matter how deep or how long he stared into the brown liquid, he couldn't get the image of Gabby's face, the last time he saw her, out of his mind. He really messed this one up big time. The memory of Gabby flipping free his hand was engraved in his mind. At what point would the alcohol stop the memories from intruding his thoughts, he often wondered and even after downing shot after shot. Even if he ever survived this phase of his life where he felt like his heart was ripped out of his cage whenever he was sober, his liver might have a hard time catching up.

He hurt her. He failed to protect her from his world. He made excuses instead of fixing his problems and in the end, she let go of his hand. He didn't blame her one bit. If he were her, he'd shut him out of his life too. Tan didn't think he would ever be able to get the look of hurt he saw on her face out of his mind. God, she hated him and she had every right to too. He took her for granted like he always did. He caused her pain once more.

He had begun to feel sane again, when Gabby came back into his life. Part of him intended to run off with Gabby and start a family but the fear of standing up against his parents killed that hope. That was just wishful thinking. He knew Gabby was never going to agree to elope with him. She deserved better than an act of cowardice. He had had her within his grasp and lost her a second time. He jerked his head back and downed the remaining contents of the glass. The spirit burned as it travelled down his throat and he winced at the discomfort.

A knock on his door boomed around his apartment causing him to wince again as the sound ricocheted in his head. Tan groaned as he forced himself to stand up. He dragged himself to open the door. He could barely make out Leo's frown as scanned his shabby appearance and the room behind him. His eyes stuck on the floor of Tan's living room.

"You look like crap." Leo stated

"Hello to you too Leo, my day is going great thank you for asking." Drawled back. He walked back to his position on the minibar not sure if his legs would be able to hold hip up for long enough to exchange small talk with his friend. Leo let himself in, gratefully shutting the door quietly behind him. He made himself comfortable on the armchair. Tan felt his gaze on him as he poured himself another shot of whiskey.

"You will bore a hole in my skull if you don't stop staring at me." His comment didn't deter Leo from studying him. It's been almost a week since he'd been trying to contact Tan. He called hum over and over but they all went to voicemail. He waited for him to show up at work but when he didn't show up for three days. He decided that he would come to the mountain.

"Tan." Leo said quietly when Tan chugged another shot of whiskey and was reaching for the bottle again. If he disapproved of Tan's newly adopted vice, he didn't show it. It would have to wait. "I've been trying to reach you for days. What's going on?" Tan turned on the stool and faced the other man. He knew Leo was worried for him Afterall he went AWOL and wouldn't answer any call. He didn't try to leave his house either. The company could fair well without him for months but it said nothing good about the new CEO. He ran his over his face.' Gabby ended things with me. It's over. She'd done." He knew it wasn't good enough of an excuse to explain how irresponsible he was being, but what was one more thing to be guilty of? He wasn't sure he welcomed the look of sympathy Leo had on his face.

"I don't know what else those people want," his voice broke as he spoke. The alcohol in his system caused his words to come out slurred. "I've done everything. Everything they've asked. I've been the perfect son." He huffed out a laugh and shook his head, "nothing is good enough for my parents and now I've lost Gabby because they wont just free us from their meddling.

"I'm so sorry Tan." Leo said, not knowing how else to console him. Tan buried his face in his hands as he forced the tears to stay within. "I'm so sorry that you're hurting; instead of nursing that bottle. Why don't you just go and get your girl?"