The Dynamic Duo

"Are you sure this is it?"

Emile checked the symbol precisely drawn in a brown sheet of paper.

"Yes, this is it."

Ewen confirmed looking at the one storey cabin situated in the obscure neighbourhood of Ostania. Though it was small, its walls were clean despite some minute cracks and its porch enveloped a few secondhand cars, most of which were surprisingly well maintained. Its slanted roof was flaked with obsidian tiles, above which was a sign board with bold highlighted letters:

"COCO'S BAR: CAR RENTALS AND MORE".

A stagnant smell of alcohol and cigarettes lingered in the air.

"I never knew this kind of bar-come- rentals- come "what not" existed!"

"How will you? You have never visited this neighbourhood."

A big furry creature rapidly slid over Emile's shoes and he jumped, feeling a gross slithery sensation. His feet slipped and his head smashed right into a pile of mud.

"What the-!!"

Before crawling under a sewer hole the creature looked back. It's long slender claws touched it's two squarely tooth sticking out of its mouth.

"What are you looking at??!! You damned mouse!!!"

Ewen struggled to control his laughter.

"Its not funny." The colour rose in Emile's cheeks.

"All this is happening to me coz of that girl! If only Boss man was here!"

"Yes..I wonder why the doctor was so persistent with Boss man needing complete rest for one whole week. When the doctor saw Boss's medical reports he ran frantically through the corridors, scratching and tearing his hair, searching for Boss man. Lord Damian seemed completely fine to me. Instead, I think the doctor himself needed some anti-anxiety pills to treat his "hysterical" panics."

Emile got up and tried to get rid off the mud swabs stuck on from his clothes.

" In any case, let's do what Lord Damian instructed us."

They both nodded at each other and a lopsided grin came across their freckled cheeks.

******************

"Welcome to Coco's services! What can I do for you?"

A hunched figure wearing a kimono bowed before them. His white overgrown eyebrows completely shrouded his eyes, and he had a carefully parted long moustache. Its ends dangled around his thin chapped lips on either side.

"We are here to find a friend of ours."

"A friend?"

The old man raised one of his eyebrows revealing a small portion of his iris.

"Yes. It happened while Ewen was driving-"

Emile pointed his finger towards the latter.

"He was a bit drunk and got into an accident with the owner of this car".

Ewen handed the keychain to the old man.

"The guy for some reason fled the scene, but Ewen felt sorry for ruining the fellow's car. So as compensation we want to pay him a certain amount of money for collateral damage."

This time the man furrowed his eyebrows and began tapping his forefinger on the long wooden stick he was holding for support.

Tick.