Truth Or Lies

'What did he mean by that? D-Did he get to know about Operation Strix?'

Anya was frozen in her place, her gaze following Damian, as he broke away from her grip and walked further and further away, until his silhouette became no longer visible.

In that moment she felt nothing.

Heard nothing.

A suffocating silence engulfed her. Her heart raced faster than ever, and the tingling sensation morphed into a strangling terror as if the black roots of guilt constricted her cardiac vessels.

Only when he was no longer visible, the murmurs of the guests resumed and the clinging of glasses reached her ears.

But she could not move.

Numerous questions flooded within her, and she didn't like the prospect of someone else informing him about Operation Strix.

'It could lead to a huge misunderstanding.'

"I have to tell him!"

Anya made her way through the labyrinth of irrelevant clusters, her irises searching for the man whose warmth still lingered on her skin.

As she looked around, flickers of fragmented memories flashed before her.

Small pink petals brushing against her locks as she waited under the delicate branches of a cherry blossom tree. The blurry image of a boy trudging awkwardly towards her, fervently avoiding eye contact.

The gong of a bell resonating through the campus of Eden splintering its tranquility. The burning sparkles of flame entwining itself in the void of darkness, filled with the screams of the despair.

Anya bit her lips, trying to suppress the watery mist that had swelled up in her eyes.

Suddenly she spotted Damian interrupting Becky, literally dragging her away from the ravenous stares of the investors, their faces bearing a close resemblance to hyenas with saliva drooling out of their mouth.

"Almost there---!!"

Anya bumped against a man and reeled back.

"Hey!! Watch where--"

She looked up to see a giant towering over her.

"I am sorry."

The man spoke with a flat monotone, not fazed by the unanticipated ramming by a girl half his size.

Anya's eyes was fixed at the marred striations of uneven flesh dug deep into his face, the colour of his left pupil a little paler than the other. Though the bridge of his nose was dislocated, it eerily enhanced his overbearing aura.

Anya was taken aback by the sudden discovery. She glanced at the two familiar figures now bickering in a corner, and then back at the immediate hostile threat standing before her.

"I have never seen you before. Who are you?"

The man lowered his torso, bring his face closer, inspecting Anya with a suspicious glare sprinkled with a hint of curiosity.

Anya straightened her back and composed her demeanor. She bowed politely.

"I am Becky Blackbell's personal secretary. My employer is discussing business prospectives with the host."

"Cheng Zui invited you?"

For some reason, the man's voice was shrouded in disbelief.