Arrangements

After the party concluded, everyone was taken to their guest rooms. As the night darkened its cloak, the oblivious retired to their comfortable beds. One by one, all the lights were turned off, and darkness prevailed, its shroud occasionally broken by the gleaming eyes of the nocturnals hidden behind the leaves, silently watching the two dark figures shuffling behind the dimly lit window.

"Are you sure you have to go alone? Are you that worried about him?"

Becky said while Anya examined her combat gloves, flexing her fingers to test its efficiency.

"I am not doing this for him. It's for Spade."

The faint luminescence of the candle highlighted the ridges of Anya's golden roseband, adorned with aureate spikes on either side.

"I am surprised your heart switched sides so soon. Though he is not that handsome, but ignorance is better than arrogance."

Anya smirked and playfully nudged Becky's arm.

"You always come up with some romantic explanations no matter where we are! I wonder if your company knows this side of you."

"No, they don't. It is only reserved for my best friend.♡"

Becky took out a wrinkled sheet of paper, and unrolled it on the bedside table.

"This is what they know me for!"

In front of Anya, stood a very detailed design of the ballroom, and all the corridors attached to it. A red line led to a point "LB".

"Is this what I think it is?!!"

Anya was shocked as the latter's eyes sparkled with a sense of achievement.

"I knew those investors would be so busy sucking up to me that they will try to hold my attention at any cost--"

Becky pulled out her hair clip and let her hair fall with an elegant wave of her head.

"--So I tried to be interested in various things, one of them happening to be the library. Though that wasn't a lie, I do like reading."

Anya furrowed her brows with a hint of reproach laced in her lips.

"Only the ones with weird titles. Half of your books are marked with 'XXX'. Is this a secret code or something?"

For some reason, Becky took a step back with rapid motion, and though the light was scarce one could see a red tinge appearing on her ears.

"W-WHEN DID YOU SEE T-THOSE---"

After slapping her face several times, she regained her composure.

"I-Its nothing. It's related to designing stuff."

'DID SHE READ THOSE??!! OMG! DID SHE DISCOVER MY ULTIMATE TREASURE 'XXXX XX XXXXX?!!!'

Strangely Anya's brain automatically censored whatever Becky was thinking,
Anya's instincts warning her not to pry too much for the sake of her innocence.

Anya diverted her attention to the precisely drawn map. She traced her finger and stopped at the LB point.

"There is only one way to enter, and I do not know the interiors. What if I don't get a place to hide?!"

Becky frowned as she made her way and stood beside Anya.

"That's the tricky part! If that bastard didn't pull me away I could have gathered more info!"

As they were contemplating, a shadow flickered by. They both jumped to their feets after the unanticipated interruption of the steady flame of the candle.

The hooting of an owl succeeded the rapid flash of the dark outline.

"That nearly scared me! Atleast they could have trimmed down the branches a bit!"

CRASH!

Another loud sound followed as the rim of the table hit the floor. But this time, Becky was the only one surprised. Anya's eyes twinkled with the unexpected revelation as she tightly clutched Becky's arm.

"Becky!!! The trees!! Why didn't I think of this before!"

"Huh?!"

Anya pushed her face closer nearly banging her head with Becky's.

"That room, I can access it from the outside. Can you give me an idea of which part of the mansion the library is located?!"

Becky was taken aback by her sudden claims. She muttered slowly:

"But you will not be able to listen to them."

Anya narrowed her eyes with a sly smile.

"Don't worry, I can hear a lot more than you can imagine."

*****************

Damian waited, leaning against a portrait of Cheng Zui, whose features were modified to such an extent that if someone were to compare it with the real version they would faint in an instant from neurogenic shock.

He glanced at his watch.

It was time.

He had managed to come this far. If all went according to plan he would finally be able to infiltrate their circle.

He had worked so hard for it, after being dragged to the depths of nothingness ten years ago.

Many threads of doubts was tangled in his mind and to make it worse a new one was added recently. Though that shrimp promised him she would leave, her irises trembled, and he didn't like it. He didn't like it at all.

Before he could dwell any further, he heard a distinct heavy thud of footsteps echoing in the hallway.

Someone was approaching.

Behind him rows of other figures followed in tow. Damian straightened up, becoming strikingly alert and cautious. As he came closer, Damian noticed he was wearing a heavily gilded silver mask which glowed ethereally by reflecting the moonlight creeping through the glassy panes.

A tiny shred of concern arose in his mind as he composed himself for the encounter.

'I can only hope she does keep her promise and stay out of this mess!'

******************