wonderwall

"Hey, Dad

"Hey, Dad." Faith yelled as she and Kurt walked into the auto shop, letting her dad know they were there. She looked around the room and saw him working on a lifted car. Burt peaked his head out from under the car and smiled at his kids, walking out from under it.

"Hey, there they are!" Burt cheered, walking towards the small table by the car as his kids walked up to him.

"You forgot your breakfast." Faith said happily, handing her dad the bag. Burt looked inside the bag and frowned as Kurt smiled. "Suzanne Somers says that skipping breakfast is suicide." Kurt told the man but his words went in one ear and out the other. Burt lifted his head and looked between Faith and Kurt as if they were crazy.

"What is this?" Burt asked, looking down at the bag in disgust before looking back up at Faith and Kurt.

"It's an egg white wrap on a sprouted wheat tortilla, half a grapefruit and a green drink." Kurt said and Burt looked more disgusted with every word Kurt spoke. Burt groaned, rolling his eyes.

"Where's my usual breakfast?" He asked and Faith's eyebrows rose in amusement, a small smile painting her lips. "A Coke and two Slim Jims?" She asked and Burt nodded nonchalantly. "Yeah. Breakfast of champions." He said and Faith sighed, rolling her eyes.

"Dad, you are not a kid anymore. You have to start taking care of yourself." Faith groaned. Burt looked down at the bag of food before looked between his two kids, watching both of them look at him with pleading eyes and he sighed.

"Well, I guess with enough hot sauce, this will be all right. Thanks." Burt said as he put the the bag of breakfast on the table behind him. "Hey, don't forget, Friday night dinner is 6:00 instead of 7:00 this week. Carole and Finn are coming over, and she has to work the night shift." He added as he walked back to the car he was working on. Faith walked towards the table, reaching into the bag and grabbing the juice.

"Can I not sit next to Finn this time? He always scratches the plate when he cuts his food and I want to be as far away from that noise as possible." Faith said as she opened the bottle and took a sip. Burt laughed at Faith's words, looking back at her.

"Sure you can sit next to me. Kurt can sit next to Finn." Burt said and Kurt's eyes widened. "I... I can't do this Friday. It's Sing-along Sound of Music at the El Royale Theater. It's a once-a-year event." Kurt said quietly, worried how his dad would react to him missing another dinner. Burt shut his eyes and turned around from the car to face the teens. "And last week, you had to camp out early so you could be first in line for those Grey's Anatomy DVDs."

"Well, in his defense it was season 6..." Faith muttered with a shrug. Burt gave Faith a look that said "you're not helping" before he turned back to Kurt, shaking his head. "Those Friday night dinners are a ritual in our family... One your mom started." Burt said as Faith took another sip of her drink, looking back and forth between her dad and her brother while Kurt sighed.