II

You sighed as you tapped your ID card against the scanner.

William Avenue was peaceful for a week, but now it was back to its usual bustling self. The Monday air was filled with the sound of cars honking and feet rhythmically tapping against asphalt as people crossed the street.

A new term started today, but you weren't exactly feeling the "fresh start" vibe that supposedly came with it. For you, it was all a dull cycle: wake up, get ready, go to school, go home, self-loathe, and then go to sleep. Rinse and repeat. Everything just went in circles because there wasn't anything worth looking forward to.

You hadn't gone out and drank for a long while, the last time being the night you met Chanyeol, Jongin, and Sehun.

You haven't seen any of the three of them since that night, and you didn't ask Minseok about them either. That was the charm of Happy Thursdays: you met and drank with people who you will most likely never see again, freeing yourself from the burden of unnecessary friendships or any other relationship.

You hadn't slept around since Chanyeol too, but you weren't sure if it was because you just had too much school work the following week after that night or if you were finally getting your act together. You hoped that it was the latter.

As you entered the room for your first class, your phone vibrated. You pulled it out from your pocket and opened the text message as you took a seat in the back row, your usual seat in a class.

[ Minseok / 08:46 ]

Good morning! Start the term right! ;)

[ You / 08:47 ]

There's nothing good about the morning.

[ You / 08:47 ]

And who the fuck still uses the wink emoticon?

[ Minseok / 08:49 ]

I do. ;)

You snorted and put your phone on airplane mode so no one else would get the chance to bother you so early in the morning and then plugged in your earphones to listen to music before your professor arrived so that none of your new classmates would try to start small talk with you.

You had Philosophy for first period, and after you had listened to about five songs, all the seats in the room were almost filled in. You recognized a few people from the previous classes that you took but the majority of the class were comprised of people you hadn't seen before. You guessed that they were upperclassmen.

It's going to be a long term, you said to yourself.

Mr. Lee entered the room clad in his signature look: white polo, red necktie, and brown coat. He dressed like what a stereotypical college professor would look like in TV and in movies, but he was sort of good-looking if you looked closely enough. He was pretty young too, just a little bit over five or six years older than you, but was already working to get his master's degree.

He had also taught the Literature class you were in a term ago; the class you were in with Chanyeol.

"Good morning," Mr. Lee greeted the class. "You're two terms into your sophomore year starting today, so I think it's completely okay to skip the pleasantries and immediately get down to business. Get your notes, laptops, or whatever out. Let's start the lecture."

That was what you liked about this professor: he always went straight to the point without wasting time on needless things. You hoped that every professor was like him.