CAPÍTULO 2

Unpacking my things is one of the least things I prefer to do. I'm chaotic. At times, I would have the strong urge to actually fold my clothes and place them neatly on top of each other, but when I pick which clothe to wear, I end up messing them up, mainly because I can't find what I like. It's much easier for me to find what I'm looking for when it's all messy. I would get scolded many time times because I rarely fix what the inside of my cabinet looks like, especially by my mom (after she folded the clothes, after laundry), and my response would be: I will fix my cabinet.

That's the greatest lie I have ever told my mother.

Well, not that the greatest, but one of the best-used lies I told her. And now, I'm putting my clothes neatly in my cabinet as neatly as possible. It's my second day in Tarifa, and I have just unpacked clothes today. I ended up sleeping all day, and my tita let me because the trip was really exhausting.

But she ended up giving me tons of books. A lot of Spanish books – from basic to advance. She said that it would be best if I start reading it as soon as possible, and that she's going to be the "teacher at times" when she's around the house.

She's working 9 to 5 and is mostly tired from work after she gets home. She works as a technical writer and would usually lay out processes for their clients (that's what she told me, though I don't really understand the nature of her work). She also said that she would randomly ask me questions if she's around about the translations of this and that in English or in Tagalog, and I had to agree because she just squinted her eye at me.

Her husband has died four years ago due to heart complications, so she's living by herself, an older nanny (whose name I already forgot), and her 5-year-old kid named Pablo who spoke to me in Spanish yesterday, in a cute little baby voice, which made it harder for me to understand. But tita just said he was asking for my name, so I had to tell him my name... in Spanish.

I forgot what it was already.

The unpacking takes about an hour because I was busy looking for my charger, and my phone is about to die, so I have to plug it in as the bar reads 1%. I practically run to where the outlet is.

I come down and little Pablo greets me with his arms stretched out towards me, as if he's asking me to pick me up. He wants me to pick him up. He mumbles something in Spanish, in his baby voice, and I just nod my head at him and tell him he's doing great. The nanny comes forward and stretches her arms out, cooing at little Pablo, but he just tightens his hold on me and places his cheek on my shoulder.

"¡Le gustas!" The nanny says and I just nod my head.

"Wow, Pablo likes you," my tita said. "That's what also she said."

Pablo looks a lot like her mother. He has trimmed black hair, his skin fair, and has cute little brown eyes. But his nose stands out as it's quite pointed unlike my tita who is snub-nosed. He's also quite a bit chubby. There are jiggly lines along his neck and his arms, but that makes him a lot cuter. He also has a double chin, like me.

Someone calls my tita's name and she immediately runs outside. I make a face at Pablo who giggles in return. He cups my cheeks and pinches it and I blow on my face. He throws another fit of giggles, and I laugh. The nanny takes a seat on the couch, watching us. She's already holding his favorite toy cars just in case he wants to play.

I hear my tita speaking in Spanish. She enters the house backwards and then points her index finger to where the laundry area is. Pablo touches my nose and gives it a little squeeze, and I make another face at him. He giggles.