CAPÍTULO 11

For some reason I thought babysitting Pablo was going to be the easiest task. When the 5th day of Operation-Pablo-Needs-Real-Babysitting program arrives, I find out that he gets bratty at times. He wants to eat certain foods. At times, he wants to play certain toys. Most of the time, he wants Batman on the TV, and I'm not just sure which channel I should switch it to considering–I searched, like, a few minutes ago–that Cartoon Network is not available in Spain.

Jorge has visited thrice already, and Pablo really likes having him around. And two days ago, my tita met him officially. My tita likes him, too. In fact, Pablo likes him so much that he started calling him kuya, a one Filipino term that, apparently, means older brother.

Jorge likes the term.

Pablo, his mom having left him just moments ago, is asking about Jorge. I take a deep breath, and his little fingers wrap around my arm and wiggle it.

"¿Dónde está Jorge? ¿Dónde está Jorge?­­" He asks me. Where is Jorge? Where is Jorge? "Quiero jugar con él." He pouts his little lips at me, batting his eyelashes.

The truth is, I'm getting used to the way Pablo speaks and I'm starting to understand him bit by bit. His constant nagging about food, cartoon, toys, and Jorge really seep into my head that whenever he opens his mouth, I immediately understand him. I'm not sure if that's because he's been uttering the same words to me, but it's definitely working.

Another truth: Jorge can't come today. Isabella needs help with her restaurant. Her waiters are out sick today, and Jorge needs to save the day and become the substitute employee for the day. He told me through Instagram that he couldn't come today, that I would need to handle Pablo on my own, because of the Isabella-crisis. He sent me three sad emojis that made me laugh.

"Pablo, no puede." I tell my cousin who crosses his arms across his chest. He stops nagging me and just stares at the television with a sad face. The more I stay with Pablo, the more my Spanish gets sharpened. "He can't come today because he needs to work. Um, tiene... uh, tiene que trabajar."

"Pero ¿por qué?"

"Porque... I don't know. ¿No sé? Necesitas dinero." Well, everyone needs money. I guess.

Pablo looks like he's going to cry. He remains silent, arms still crossed, and he's staring real hard at the television. I groan and message tita through Messenger, asking her if I could take Pablo out, that we'd only stay in CAFÉ AZUL. She tells me something about Pablo having asthma, which I already know thanks to Mikel, and I tell her that we're not going to play outside and that Pablo just wants to see Jorge.

After a minute or so of convincing my tita to let us, she says yes finally. But she says I have to take extra care of Pablo. I say yes. I turn to Pablo, who is still sulking and not giving me attention, and poke his cheek. He puffs.

I go on Google Translate app and search for the verb for shower (ducharse) and tell him. "Dúchate. Vamos a visitar Jorge." Which means shower, we're going to visit Jorge.

Pablo's face immediately lights up and nearly trips himself as he gets off the couch. He squeals and heads upstairs to shower himself.

A little later, I hear him saying, "¡Necesito ayuda!" Great. He needs help.

I head straight to the bathroom and find him already in his birthday suit, and the shower is on already. He can't reach the soap and shampoo, which he's trying to get, so I give it to him and he happily washes himself. I prepare the toothbrush and toothpaste for him, and once he rinses himself off, he grabs it and sloppily puts the toothpaste in his mouth and begins brushing his teeth. I'm pretty sure that's not how you brush your teeth.