CAPÍTULO 17

Mikel's ex-girlfriend, Sofía, has been all over Mikel and I don't know what to feel. The moment she stepped into the house, I was forced to watch her run her hands all over Mikel, and I noticed that she likes touching Mikel's face.

Without knowing what to do, I decided to go home and Mikel couldn't do anything but to look at me with those green eyes. And here I am, in my room, talking to my friends through Messenger in #UwU group chat that I badly want to change now. My friends are now talking about the bar that they went to, and how they wish I was with them so we could all have fun. I want to tell them about Mikel, that I have a boyfriend now, but every time I would try to open the relationship topic, I'd shrink.

On top of that, I'm also afraid of what they would think about me. They know that I haven't been in any relationship. They asked about my type, and I couldn't answer them, but they've always known I'm into girls. I was into girls. Or maybe I'm still into girls. I'm not entirely sure.

I know my friends aren't really judgemental. Well, they judge other people, but not their friends. And if I tell them that I'm in a relationship with a guy, they might think that I'm kidding with them in the first place, but eventually they would realize that I'm not joking, and I know they would understand. So what am I really afraid of?

My phone keeps vibrating in my head, and I realize that I've missed so many messages from my friends that I have to scroll up to catch up. Topics have changed already, and now they are talking about the new guy at work that's cute and apparently "works out" per Debbie.

They begin sending selfies in the group chat, so I join in, giving the best smile I can give even though I feel like nothing's going right anymore. I upload the photo to the group, and they all give it a heart react. They start giving me compliments, one that I really have no idea how to take, and they tell me that I'm lucky that I'm already here in Spain and that they are stuck with their work and low pay. And then they ask me how my Spanish is, and I tell them that it's not that good yet but I can understand and speak a little.

My friends start asking me to say something using the voice message, but I'm really shy about it, so I just tell them that I'm not comfortable enough, and then I wonder if this is the best time to open up about my newly found realization – that I like Mikel, a guy, and that I'm in a relationship with him.

I start typing, my heart racing, and when I'm about to hit the send button, I hold back and remove what I typed. I haven't asked Mikel if it's all right to tell anyone about what we have, and before I do this, I need to have his opinion and permission first.

Even though my friends don't know Mikel, Mikel has to be okay with me telling my friends about us, mainly because his sexuality is involved. Whether where he is, or even if people don't know him, it has to be in Mikel's own terms, not mine or anyone's. I keep my mouth shut for now and just enjoy the company of my friends who have gone back to gushing about Debbie's new workmate.

A little later, my brother starts sending me messages, telling me that some of our relatives come in "to check about the status of the house". My brother did not open the door for them; he just answered them while looking at them by the window on the 2nd floor of the house.

It's weird that my relatives are checking about the house. I don't want to assume, but I feel like they want the house for their own. Well, sorry for them, because when my parents died, all of my parents' things became our own legally. I had to work twice as hard to pay for the transfer of ownership of the house, from my dad's to mine.

If I was not in the right age when my parents died, I'm sure my relatives would have tricked us and claimed the house for themselves. I send a message to my cousin, Michael, telling him that I'd transfer money to pay the house to the bank, and he responds that it's actually been taken care of. I furrow my brows, looking at his message, but before I can comprehend his message and send a reply, tita calls me.