CAPÍTULO 6

The alarm comes blasting through my ears, making me groan. I stretch out my arm and feel the numbness, and slide off the alarm on my phone reminding me that I need to get up. My eyes flutter open and I immediately see the marks on my arm. That must have been a good sleep.

I stand up and head straight over to the window, and notice that Mikel's window is closed. He must be still sleeping. I shrug and make the bed, and head to the restroom to splash my face with some water and brush my teeth. Then I head downstairs to find tita and Luisa talking in Spanish. It looks like little Pablo is still sleeping. They greet me as they see me. I greet them back. In a more tiring way and with little interest because the bed is still calling me.

But we have to do what we have to do, and that includes waking up in the morning and not afternoon.

Simultaneously we all look up at the ceiling as we hear little footsteps, indicating that little Pablo is now wide awake. Luisa immediately stands up from her seat and heads upstairs to pick him up.

Once seated, little Pablo's black hair is sticking up everywhere as if someone put a strong gel on it and styled it like that, his eyes are still droopy, and his lips are in a pout. He rubs his eyes and stares at a distance before looking at me with his cute brown eyes.

"¿Qué te gusta, Pablo?" I ask him in a very steady and slow Spanish, which makes both Luisa and tita stare at me. "What?"

"Hablas español, Andresito..." Tita says, and although I have loaded a bit in a few seconds, I perfectly understand what she said. "Tengo confianza que vas a tener un trabajo pronto."

Well, I'm not that advanced. I raise a brow.

"Me gustan los huevos," little Pablo says in a baby voice.

"I said you'll have a job soon," tita says as she pinches little Pablo's cheek. "¿Tienes hambre? Voy a cocinar. Espera, Pablito."

I nod my head in understand and tap the tip of Pablo's nose. He blinks and stares at me for a while before turning over his shoulder to watch his mom cook. I see tita cracking an egg. Does huevos mean eggs? I take note of that mentally.

A few moments later, Pablo is served the fried eggs and a small scoop of rice. Tita asks me that he has cooked for me as well, and I thank her. Luisa and tita head to the living room, leaving me and Pablo alone, and well, we both eat peacefully. Occasionally, he would glance at me as if he's curious. For a 5-year-old kid, he seems pretty quiet.

"¿Cuántos años tienes?" he says to me. Both of my eyebrows raise.

"Pablito, I don't understand what you're saying." I tell him.

He chews another egg and shoves it into his tiny mouth. "No te entiendo. Mi mama me dijo que tengas que quedarme aquí. ¿De dónde eres?"

"Pablo, I don't speak Spanish. Yet." I rummage my head of the proper verb to use. I'm pretty sure I've read it somewhere. Hablar. Ah, that's it. And now, the conjugation. Jesus. I really need to learn these conjugations. Finally. "No hablo español."

"Pero lo estás hablando ahora." Little Pablo cuts the egg in half, stabbing the yolk until it bleeds out. The action reminds me of Alex and I smile, ruffling his hair that even makes it more chaotic. He lets out a small giggle before shoving another mouthful of egg in his mouth. "¿Lo quieres?"

I shake my head, feeling proud of myself that I understand another Spanish word. He continues eating until the plate is clean, and then he licks it, which then reminds me of Alex when he was a kid, as he used to lick his plate before going outside to play with his friends.