CAPÍTULO 3

Today I've been asked to go to a supermercado (which means supermarket) near calle ALFONSO FERNÁNDEZ CORONEL (same as the Tagalog word kalye, which is street, and also, that's a long-ass street name). My tita gave me a list of what I would buy and she gave me money. I check the list. I just need to buy:

Tide detergents.

Peach cans.

Oat milk.

2 dozen eggs.

Cereals. One Koko krunch. Two corn flakes.

That seems easy; except it's not. The supermercado is just near the house (as my tita said, I just have to literally walk straight until I reach the ALFONSO something street, and I should see Lidl, the name of the supermarket store), so I don't have to use public transportation just to get there.

Outside is scorching hot when I get outside, but it's not as painfully hot like in the Philippines. I take a slow stride, taking all the details my eyes can see. I can see why tita decided to stay here in this place. It's freaking beautiful. The houses are painted in similar color and they are built the same way. The difference? Their gate. The gate of each house is different. Some are wooden, and some are one of those metal gates that have spikes on the top. The people living in this area seem to have the money because it looks really expensive.

As I get farther and farther, repeating in my head that I just have to walk straight until I reach the far end, the houses get bigger and bigger. Cars are parked on the side, and not once have I ever seen any trash around. The place is completely clean.

I turn right when I'm in the far end of the street and walk straight ahead until I see the supermarket, and I sigh in relief as the big sign Lidl comes into view. I walk a bit faster until I reach the parking lot. There are several cars parked outside, and there seems to be less people inside. The guard greets me (¡Hola!) in a cheery way and I just smile back, not returning the cheerful greet.

Who knew that it's possible for me to not get lost? I tend to get lost. Like a lot. And it's always going to be part of me because, you know, my mind always wanders.

Grabbing a small cart, I check each isle to find what I need. I don't dare look at the signs attached above the isle because I don't understand it, so I decide to search for the items the hard way. Good thing the supermarket is just small and the place is easy to navigate.

Once I have everything that's listed in my note, I head over to the cashier where a lady, in her mid-30s, is busy chatting with her friends. When she sees me, she smiles and starts scanning the items.

"Efectivo o tarjeta?" The lady asks, and I freeze. The lady looks at me expectantly, and I'm sure she's asking about the money. Putangina. Mamamatay ako dito. I open my mouth, but no words come out. Pwede na bang mamatay?

"She's asking if you're paying cash or if you'll use your card," a guy carrying a small basket tells me. "Efectivo means cash, and tarjeta means card. So cash or card?"

"Cash," I reply awkwardly.

"Va a pagar en efectivo." The guy says. I hand the lady the money. She types something on the keyboard and gives me my change. "My name is Jorge."

"Andres,"

"New here?" The lady puts my things in a paper bag and hands it to me. I nod at Jorge. He grins. Perfect set of teeth is showing. "I practically saw you sweating there. Next time, you can just hand them the money and they'll get it."

Seriously, are all Spanish men hot and attractive?

Jorge has brown locks. His hair is trimmed to the side, but his locks look soft. It's a bit messy on top of his head but it looks really good. His beard and mustache are properly trimmed, so his face looks really clean. In fact, he has a baby face. Though he doesn't have puffy cheeks, but I could tell how many girls want to pinch his cheeks because they look really pinchable. Jorge is also wearing a single silver, heart-shaped earring.