26

in honour of the first official day of SALT AIIIIR AND THE RUST ON YOUR DOOOOOOOOOR, here's another update (: please, do enjoy it!!

———

Kaia's arm sprawled across the bed, hoping to wrap around a particularly warm body when she was hit by the cold, early morning winter breeze, but all she felt was remnants of warmth seeping through the bedsheets, left behind by Taylor's body before she had decided to completely betray her and get out of bed.

With a little pout, Kaia blinked her eyes open and rubbed them with her fingers. She couldn't see past the moisture in her eyes and it didn't help that her vision was getting considerably worse without the help of her glasses these days.

With a groan, she pushed herself up into a sitting position and reached for her glasses on the end table next to her, pushing them over her nose.

Kaia could hear some quiet singing coming from the bathroom, a song she couldn't recognise, but it was quite upbeat and Taylor seemed to be having fun singing it.

Kaia didn't want to get out of bed just yet but she really wanted to find out what had put Taylor in such a good mood so early in the morning.

She padded over to the bathroom, hiding her hands in the sleeves of the pyjama shirt she was wearing and knocked on the door lightly.

Taylor opened it a moment later and grinned at Kaia before turning to the mirror. "Morning, baby girl!"

"Morning," Kaia croaked with a chuckle. "Why are you up so early?"

Taylor rummaged through her makeup kit for a few seconds before pulling out some mascara and opening the tube. "There was a bird chirping really loudly outside. It woke me up at like seven, and I couldn't go back to sleep. I spent like an hour just watching you, 'cause you look so cute when you're sleeping but also I thought you'd wake up soon, but you slept in which, by the way, I'm so proud of you? Since when do you sleep in past eight?"

"We're on holiday," Kaia replied with a light shrug of her shoulders. The bathroom was even colder than the bedroom and she bounced up and down on the balls of her feet trying to get her blood moving to stay warm.

"It is! It's a great holiday!" Taylor exclaimed, returning her mascara tube to her bag when she was done and grabbing a tube of lipgloss instead.

"I'm glad you're enjoying it," Kaia smiled at her, stepping further in the bathroom and tiredly leaning against Taylor's back. She turned around with a big smile on her face and pressed a kiss on her forehead before returning to her makeup.

"Yeah, it's a shame that we're leaving tomorrow," Taylor mumbled, parting her lips to apply some gloss on. "Also, my period just surprise-attacked me, and I did not pack any pads or tampons. I did find one in my purse, but that's only gonna be helpful for the next hour or two."

Kaia froze in place in alarm, looking at Taylor through the mirror. "You didn't go through my bag, did you?"

"No, do you have some? I just thought I'd just buy some in town after breakfast," Taylor told her.

"Oh! I did pack some, don't worry," Kaia informed her, trying to play it cool as she relaxed, hugging her tighter from behind and kissing the back of her neck softly. "Do you need one right now?"

Taylor searched for Kaia's eyes in the mirror and when she met them, she smiled softly and turned around in her arms. It was clear that Kaia did not want to let go of her any time soon. "Not urgently, no," she responded softly, wrapping Kaia up in her warm embrace. "You're awfully cuddly this morning."