Tip Toe Through the Window

The sound of muffled crying came in through the closed door. The girl who kept herself in the enclosed walls hadn't mastered how to silently cry yet. Secretly, she did that on purpose. She wanted to be heard. 

A knock came from the door. 

"Hey...um...it's uh...it's me." she knew who was at the door: her new "big sister."

A sniffle was heard. The girl held in a whimper. She calmed her breathing. But she did not respond.

"I know you're probably really scared, and you don't wanna to be here-"

"You don't know anything about me." The child's voice came out more evenly than anticipated.

"-But you should eat something. I'll give you my leftovers if you want them. I-I can even ask mama to make something sweet if you really want!"

"Why are you here?" a clear tone of bitterness and resentment flavored the question. 

"...Mama told me to."

A snort was heard through the door.

"Did you just laugh?"

"Did not," said the young girl defiantly.

"Did too!"  she laughed.

"Did not!"

"Did too!"

"Did not!"

A moment passed before giggling was heard from the other side of the door. The older girl had rested her head on the wood when she finally calmed down. 

"What's so funny?" the younger one asked with annoyance. 

"I'm gonna call you Sweets from now on."

"You're weird."

"And you're funny. And you're gonna be family from now on and I'm gonna be your big sister! See you at dinner Sweets!"

The sound of small feet running down the hall was the last thing she heard as the young girl sat in her room. She finally lifted her head from where it rested between her knees and crawled to the door. She opened it just a crack to see if there was anyone still left in the hallway or if the older girl had run back down to her room.

"Weirdo."

--------------------------

That memory felt so long ago now. It made sense it did because it was. You were five years old at the time and you were knocking on twenty-six soon. That was the day you'd first talked to anyone after you got adopted. You had spent most of your time in the room they gave you. Most of the memories were fuzzy around that age, that one included. You wondered why you remembered it now.

After killing one of Lady D's daughters, you couldn't help feeling guilt ball in the pit of your stomach. At the time it felt liberating, thrilling, and satisfying. Like you were some knight vanquishing the evil dragon. But you weren't a killer. And as twisted as the family was, she was still part of a family. One that probably cared about her. At the very least her mother probably did. They all seemed to look up to her and vice versa.

As the thought floated around in your mind, you heard a loud crash. Your head swiveled around in anticipation and the shout that followed seemed to confirm your suspicions. 

"What have you done to my daughter?!"

There was nothing said after that. But you had to get a move on if you were going to get to Dimitrescu's room and some good info for you and Heisenberg.