Chapter 7: Selena

Selena stood in the middle of her cell frozen in fear. The dark purple fog had taken over the area, and everywhere she looked all she saw was darkness reaching out to her. It beckoned her to come closer. It wanted Selena. 

It wanted her light. 

"Selena..."

A ghostly voice with a deep rasp called out to her. Selena closed her eyes, knowing that when she opened them, the shadowy figure would once again be standing in front of her. Calling her to come to it. 

"Selena we can do great things."

Selena opened her eyes and saw the shadowy figure standing before her. She wanted to open her mouth and scream, but her body couldn't move. She stood there in frozen terror as the figure crept closer and closer toward her. 

"Our time is nearing."

Selena's eyes darted open and frantically scanned her cell. There was no sign of the purple fog or the figure that stood before her in her dream. She placed her hand on her chest and tried to slow her breathing. Her shirt was soaked with sweat and she tried not to gross herself out with that thought as she breathed in and out. 

When was the last time I showered?

"Another bad dream?" asked Ander from the cell over. 

Selena sat up and walked over to the side of her cell with the small window. She let her back fall against the wall and curled her legs up to her chest. "They just keep getting worse," she muttered. 

She didn't trust Ander as far as she could throw him, and given that she had sat on top of a tornado and flung him across the gym in their epic fight in the school gym, she knew she could throw him pretty far. Living in the cell was lonely. Selena had spent days with nothing but the sound of her thoughts and the occasional taunt from Delmar the prison guard. So when it came to talking to Ander or sitting in silence it was an obvious choice for Selena. 

"They'll probably continue to do so," Ander laughed nonchalantly. "Coventry has a way of bringing out the worst in everything. Even our dreams." 

Selena let that stick in the air for a moment. How long had it been since she'd been here? There was no sign of the outside world from this tiny cell she was to now call home. She wondered if her parents were looking for her. Or how her sister was dealing with all of this. 

"You never told me how you ended up here," Selena finally said breaking the silence. "Weren't you like his best bro or something?"

Ander scoffed from the other side of the wall. She heard movement on the other side of the cell and then it went quiet again. "Gedeon has no friends," Ander finally answered. "When I lost to you and your friends in the human world he was going to kill me. When I called out for mercy, for whatever reason, he gave it to me. I almost wish I would have let him barbecue me that day. It'd probably be better than living in this dump." 

"I bet the food would be better too," Selena joked from the ground.

The sound of the dungeon door opened and Selena waited for Delmar to make his usual appearance and taunt her from outside of the cell with that stupid circular noise weapon he loves to use. 

Selena closed her eyes and leaned her head against the wall. The cool stone felt good on her sweaty back as she waited for the ear-piercing sound to erupt in her cell. A small knock at her cell door made her open her eyes. 

A girl with brunette hair stood on the outside of her cell. She wore brown sack-like clothes, and her small frame looked malnourished and frail. She looked side to side in a hurry and then motioned for Selena to come to the door. She looked to be only a little older than Selena.